After a string of four off-the-board performances in stakes races last year, trainer Michael Matz strongly considered retiring his graded stakes-winning turf mare Somali Lemonade.
Somali Lemonade surged to the lead in deep stretch and just held off multiple grade I winner Stephanie's Kitten to win the $500,000 TVG Diana Stakes (gr. IT) July 19 at Saratoga Race Course.
Somali Lemonade had never been to Pimlico Race Course before, but on the track's biggest day in front of a Preakness Day throng, the 5-year-old mare galloped to victory in the $150,000 Gallorette Handicap (gr. IIIT).
Angelica Zapata will try to register fourth straight stakes victory and first career graded stakes win when she faces a full field of fillies and mares in the $100,000 My Charmer Handicap Dec. 7 at Calder Casino & Race Course
Caroline Forgason's homebred Somali Lemonade took a little time to get the 2013 season underway but found success in her second start off the layup, winning the $250,000 Dr. James Penny Memorial Handicap (gr. IIIT) July 2.
Most Popular Stories
- Tonalist, Wicked Strong Headline Jim Dandy
- Daring Dancer Prevails in Lake George Stakes
- Eight Stakes Set for Churchill in September
- Delaware, Horsemen Hope to Pay Late Purses
- Art Sherman to Receive Laffit Pincay Award
- Can Coup de Grace Land Blow in Amsterdam?
- Final Breeders' Cup Board Seats Filled
- Harris, Frazier Lead 2014 Washingon HOF Class
- Queen's Horse Tests Positive for Morphine
- Filly Taghrooda Takes Aim at Ascot History