With a photo of Secretariat's Kentucky Derby (gr. I) win hanging on the Caroline County Community Center wall beside a Virginia General Assembly resolution commemorating the 30th anniversary of his Triple Crown, it may have been thought that the decision to relocate the Virginia state fair to where he was foaled, Meadow Farm, would have been a sure thing. Not so.
Plans are being finalized to relocate the State Fair of Virginia to Meadow Farm, birthplace of 1973 Triple Crown winner Secretariat.
The State Fair of Virginia may be coming to Meadow Farm. Atlantic Rural Exposition Inc. (ARE), the company that operates the State Fair of Virginia, completed on Monday its purchase of the 347-acre birthplace of Secretariat. The purchase price is reported to be $5.3 million.
A sign that hung at Meadow Farm, a painting and photos ripped out of their frames, and dishes were among the items that were signed by Penny Chenery, Ron Turcotte, Jim Gaffney, and Bill Nack at the Secretariat celebration held Saturday in Caroline County, Virginia.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Eased as Moreno Wins CT Classic
- One Lucky Dane Off Derby Trail After Workout
- Cozmic One Approaches Long-Awaited Debut
- Unspurned Makes Grade in Whimsical
- Dramedy Lights Up Elkhorn at 30-1
- Yahilwa Recovers to Win Sixty Sails Handicap
- KY Oaks Contenders Birdatthewire, Puca Breeze
- Two Equal Fastest Furlong Time at OBS Show
- Dortmund Records Bullet Work at Santa Anita
- Cozmic One Lacks Late Kick in Debut