Everything came up roses for Carmandia, who made a bold move on the rail for jockey Mike Luzzi to sweep past the speedy Magnolia Jackson and register a two-length win in the $153,900 Bed o' Roses Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares at Aqueduct Saturday.
Hall of Fame trainer H. Allen Jerkens has two of the five horses entered in the April 21 Bed o' Roses Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) at Aqueduct. He has won the race seven times, and his contenders this year are Any Limit and Swap Fliparoo.
Five shippers from Florida and New York will test local star Silmaril at Laurel Park Saturday in the $300,000 Barbara Fritchie Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares.
The two-day Fasig-Tipton Kentucky winter mixed sale posted increases in gross, average, and median during its opening session Feb. 11 at the sale company's Newtown Paddocks near Lexington.
Grade I winner Malibu Mint meets the undefeated and potentially freakish Mo Cuishle in a strong renewal of Friday's $150,000 Top Flight Handicap presented by Delta Air Lines (gr. II) at Aqueduct.
Trainer Dale Roman has the "horse for course" in Joint Effort, the tepid favorite in a field of 12 fillies and mares entered in the $150,000-added Chilukki Stakes (gr. II) Thursday at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Downey Profile: Improvement Mandated in Rebel
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Study Links Cell Damage to Corticosteroids
- Azeri: Don't Tell Sophia Faces Close Hatches
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Iotapa Heads Tough Lineup in Santa Margarita
- Sign Runs Last in Return from Lengthy Layoff
- New Standards May Be Imposed on NY Stewards
- Hall of Fame Jockeys to Compete at Pimlico