The Jockeys' Guild is reaching out to medical professionals at tracks throughout the country to try to improve on-track care of riders, with particular attention paid to concussions and head injuries.
The Jockeys' Guild and Kentucky tracks hope to take a big step forward this year in rider concussion protocol.
The Jockeys' Guild and University of Kentucky will embark on a three-year pilot study, supported by a broad cross-section of Thoroughbred organizations, designed to evolve into the first comprehensive concussion management protocol for jockeys.
While the Jockey Injury Database has seen increased participation in the past year, supporters of the database said increased support is critical for generating meaningful numbers.
Presentations on racetrack surfaces, jockey safety, horsemanship courses, and the Equine Injury Database will be spotlighted at the Welfare and Safety of the Racehorse Summit July 8 at Keeneland in Lexington.
At the Welfare and Safety of the Racehorse Summit July 9 at Keeneland, organizers of the Jockey Injury Database said added participation will help generate needed statistical information.
With focus on safety, presenters at the Jockeys' Guild assembly outlined the dangers of concussions, explained a new baseline testing initiative, and provided initial results from the U.S. Jockey Injury Database.
Thoroughbred and Quarter Horse jockeys will be learning the latest information about health and safety issues, especially related to concussions, during the 2014 Jockeys' Guild Assembly Jan. 26-28 in Hollywood, Fla.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment