Stakes winner Patrol was represented by his first winner when his daughter Sneaky Patrol won Aug. 7 at Woodbine.
Illinois horse racing is mired in a "downward spiral that will require action by state government to save it," Hawthorne Race Course President Tim Carey said as his track prepared to open the 2007 Illinois Thoroughbred season Friday.
Despite having one of the highest starters per race averages in the country, Hawthorne's betting declined across the board during the fall meet that began Sept. 15 and ended Dec. 31.
- By Claire Novak
Jockey Rene Douglas, banned from Calder Race Course in south Florida for unknown reasons, was back in the saddle Jan. 1, riding James DiVito-trained Gostoso to a seventh-place finish in the seventh race at Hawthorne.
Old Forester, a course-record setter at Gulfstream Park and a graded stakes winner, will stand in 2007 at John Carey's T.C. Westmeath Stud near Shelburne, Ontario, Canada.
Former New York Governor Hugh L. Carey has been elected to the board of Empire Racing, the group competing for the franchise to operate the state's racetracks at Belmont, Aqueduct and Saratoga.
Robert F. Carey Jr., who served as assistant to the president at Hawthorne, died after a long battle from injuries that occurred in a fall last November.
Chicago sports legends and Sue the dinosaur will play key roles in events surrounding the Oct. 26 Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships at Arlington Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator
- California Chrome Superior in Pacific Classic
- Tepin Back to Brilliant in Saratoga Work
- 'Cleopatra' in Gate Drill for Debutante
- Mineshaft Colt Tops OBS Day 3 Watch List
- 'Chrome,' Beholder Weighing Options after PC
- Flatter Colt Tops OBS Select Yearling Session
- Ontario-Sired Bonuses to Continue for 2017-18
- What's Going On Here: The Gamble
- Southern CA Tracks, TOC Have Dates Agreement