Though legislation to authorize electronic gaming continues to stall in Minnesota, Canterbury Park officials remain optimistic in the wake of a fairly stable second-quarter earnings report.
Hialeah Park has filed applications for Quarter Horse racing dates, telling the Florida Division of Pari-Mutuel Wagering it plans to run a 20-day meet late this year and another 20-day meet early in 2010.
Hialeah Park probably will begin Quarter Horse racing in 2010 only if the Florida Legislature makes three major changes in state racing laws, the track's owner John Brunetti said April 15.
The Florida Legislature ended its annual two-month session May 2 without passing two slot machine bills that were sought by the Thoroughbred industry.
Gulfstream Park will debut its 10-table card room April 8. The room is open from noon to midnight every live race day and will remain open throughout the year.
Calder Race Course will become the latest Florida track to open a poker room when its live Thoroughbred meet begins April 26.
Monday's vote is the first time a bill of this kind has passed out of committee in Minnesota.
Canterbury Park announced record revenue and net income for 2001. A full year of revenue from its Card Club allowed the Minnesota racetrack to increase revenue by nearly 22% and raise net income by 116.5%.
Canterbury Park reported increased revenue and decreased net income for the third quarter ending Sept. 20. Revenue for the Minnesota racetrack was up 4.3% to $12.1 million, but net income for the third quarter fell 21% to $378,103, or 10 cents per share.
Most Popular Stories
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile
- McErin, Five Fillies Take on Kentucky Juvenile Stakes
- Farhaan Makes the Grade in Thunder Road
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls