The key to making anyone who is unfamiliar with horse racing "get it" -- assuming you can't take them to an actual racetrack -- is showing them a great race.
Goncalo Torrealba, who operates TNT Stud in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, went to $4.5 million to purchase the millionaire Pure Clan during the second session of the Keeneland November breeding stock sale in Lexington Nov. 7.
In the Holy Bull, it was Starlight Racing's Algorithms, who captured his first stakes race and stamped himself as one to watch on the Triple Crown trail.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
With an excellent race record, a fine pedigree, and superb conformation, Bernardini looked as close to a sure thing as exists in the ranks of prospective stallions.
The first reported foal by 3-year-old Eclipse champion and Preakness Stakes (gr. I) winner Bernardini was born Jan. 4 at Gracefield Farm near Lexington. The newborn filly, bred by Gracefield and Partners, is out of the multiple stakes producer Belle Nuit.
How good was Bernardini in 2006? Good enough to make The Blood-Horse cover six times.
Very few thought any of his five rivals had much of a shot at beating Bernardini at equal weights in Saturday's 137th Travers (gr. I) at Saratoga Race Course. But this appeared so effortless that jockey Javier Castellano was clapping the winner on the neck -- with a sixteenth of a mile to go!
Although deceased Spectacular Bid closed out his career away from all the glamour he experienced early on in Central Kentucky, the four-time champion might have accomplished enough in some categories to be given a passing grade as a stallion.
Equine Spectrum's online auction of 16 mares scheduled for March 15 includes such well-known names as grade I winners Luna Wells and Cara Rafaela.
Most Popular Stories
- Two IL Tracks File for Bankruptcy Protection
- British Racing Undertakes Education Program
- Undefeated Dortmund Wasn't Always So Popular
- Lukas Pointing 'Brandi' to Kentucky Oaks
- Golden Gate Winter/Spring Meet Starts Dec. 26
- Baffert Quartet Faces Shared Belief in Malibu
- Millionaire Kiri's Clown Euthanized at Age 25
- Secret Circle Aims for Season-Ending Win
- Intriguing Maidens in MD Juvenile Futurity
- Baltas, Pedroza Square Off at Los Alamitos