Lusty Latin earned a trip to the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) with his third-place finish in the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) last week. Saturday his stablemate, Captain Squire, will attempt to join him on the Derby trail when he competes in the $150,000 California Derby at Golden Gate Fields.
Danthebluegrassman zipped five furlongs in :58.6 at Santa Anita Park on Monday as he posted the fastest time of the day among the 49 horses working at that distance. His workout was the highlight of a busy workday Monday for 3-year-olds at tracks across the country.
The fields for the major Kentucky Derby preps continue to take shape, leaving the connections of several horses searching for new jockeys for their charges.
Koji Maeda's Triple Crown nominee Sunday Break gets his prep for the April 13 Wood Memorial (gr. I) when he faces vie other 3-year-olds in a 1 1/8-mile allowance test at Aqueduct on Wednesday.
Once again, Yougottawanna springs an upset over a talented runner from Bob Baffert's barn.
One of trainer Bob Baffert's last Triple Crown hopefuls, Danthebluegrassman, attempts to stride further along the trail when he faces 10 other 3-year-olds in Saturday's $200,000 El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) at Golden Gate Fields.
Trainer John Sadler said San Rafael Stakes fifth-place finisher Pelirrojo will miss two to three months of training after coming out of the race with a "hot knee," rendering the 3-year-old son of Flying Continental off the Kentucky Derby trail.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Conquest Mo Money Carries Local Hopes in Sunland Derby
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Classic Empire Back to Work in Ocala
- Gun Runner Brings Consistent Class to World Cup Stage
- Suffolk Downs Files Paperwork for Racetrack Sale
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement
- Mo Don't Know Named Ohio Horse of the Year
- Kitten's Cat Poised for Spiral Stakes