Lusty Latin earned a trip to the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) with his third-place finish in the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) last week. Saturday his stablemate, Captain Squire, will attempt to join him on the Derby trail when he competes in the $150,000 California Derby at Golden Gate Fields.
Danthebluegrassman zipped five furlongs in :58.6 at Santa Anita Park on Monday as he posted the fastest time of the day among the 49 horses working at that distance. His workout was the highlight of a busy workday Monday for 3-year-olds at tracks across the country.
The fields for the major Kentucky Derby preps continue to take shape, leaving the connections of several horses searching for new jockeys for their charges.
Koji Maeda's Triple Crown nominee Sunday Break gets his prep for the April 13 Wood Memorial (gr. I) when he faces vie other 3-year-olds in a 1 1/8-mile allowance test at Aqueduct on Wednesday.
Once again, Yougottawanna springs an upset over a talented runner from Bob Baffert's barn.
One of trainer Bob Baffert's last Triple Crown hopefuls, Danthebluegrassman, attempts to stride further along the trail when he faces 10 other 3-year-olds in Saturday's $200,000 El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) at Golden Gate Fields.
Trainer John Sadler said San Rafael Stakes fifth-place finisher Pelirrojo will miss two to three months of training after coming out of the race with a "hot knee," rendering the 3-year-old son of Flying Continental off the Kentucky Derby trail.
Most Popular Stories
- Baffert: Dortmund is 'Figuring it Out'
- McCarron Named New Trainer at Merryland Farm
- Churchill Weighs In on Its Racing Operations
- Horton Considers Rebel for Take Charge Brandi
- Unlocking Winners: The Return of Daredevil
- North Dakota May Owe Bankrupt ADW Millions
- First Foal for Nephrite is Filly
- Bill Would Allow Dealers at Indiana Racinos
- Local Time Continues Meydan Dominance
- Greyhound 'Cessation' Bill Sends a Warning