Strait of Dover, who won the 2012 Queen's Plate at Woodbine and earned the Sovereign Award for champion 3-year-old male, was euthanized July 14 due to complications following surgery for a twisted large colon.
The result hardly seemed in doubt as Strait of Dover led from the outset en route to capturing the prestigious 153rd Queen's Plate in track-record time June 24 at Woodbine.
Strait of Dover, whose career has taken off since arriving in trainer Daniel Vella's barn at Woodbine, emerged as an early Queen's Plate favorite with his 6 1/2-length romp in the $156,206 Marine Stakes May 12.
Most Popular Stories
- Seeking the Gold Dies at 31
- Little Mike Retired to Old Friends
- Borell Arraignment Set for Aug. 1
- Connect Leads 1-2 Finish for Brown in Curlin
- American Cleopatra Entered at Del Mar
- Full Field Possible for West Virginia Derby
- Champion Tepin Will Bypass Fourstardave
- Nyquist, Exaggerator Renew Rivalry in Haskell
- Arlington, Hawthorne Reach Dates Agreement
- Thunderstorm Forces Ellis to Cancel Races