Strait of Dover, who won the 2012 Queen's Plate at Woodbine and earned the Sovereign Award for champion 3-year-old male, was euthanized July 14 due to complications following surgery for a twisted large colon.
The result hardly seemed in doubt as Strait of Dover led from the outset en route to capturing the prestigious 153rd Queen's Plate in track-record time June 24 at Woodbine.
Strait of Dover, whose career has taken off since arriving in trainer Daniel Vella's barn at Woodbine, emerged as an early Queen's Plate favorite with his 6 1/2-length romp in the $156,206 Marine Stakes May 12.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Dynamic Trade Continues at Arqana Sale
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale