Strait of Dover, who won the 2012 Queen's Plate at Woodbine and earned the Sovereign Award for champion 3-year-old male, was euthanized July 14 due to complications following surgery for a twisted large colon.
The result hardly seemed in doubt as Strait of Dover led from the outset en route to capturing the prestigious 153rd Queen's Plate in track-record time June 24 at Woodbine.
Strait of Dover, whose career has taken off since arriving in trainer Daniel Vella's barn at Woodbine, emerged as an early Queen's Plate favorite with his 6 1/2-length romp in the $156,206 Marine Stakes May 12.
Most Popular Stories
- Gala Award: Not Your Typical Turf Pedigree
- Downey Appointed to Judicial Position in KY
- Former Jockey Davis Focus of HRTV Documentary
- Trainer D'Angelo Dies at 55
- Winter Not a Serious Threat to Eastern Tent Caterpillar Eggs
- Xpressbet to Sponsor HOF Jockey Challenge
- Leishmaniasis: No Longer Just a Foreign Animal Disease
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes