Solomon Del-Valle has been a friend and client of trainer Antonio Sano for 40 years, and the pair team up with Gunnevera for what would be the biggest victory for Venezuela since Canonero II won the 1971 Kentucky Derby
- By Steve Haskin
Part Two of Canonero's story, covering the Preakness and Belmont.
Cot Campbell relates the story of how he turned down a future champion for $1,200. read blog
The Dr. Tony Ryan Book Award has announced six semifinalists for this year's award; with finalists to be announced March 17 and the winner to be revealed at an April 15, invitation-only cocktail reception at Castleton Lyons.
Now that Campbell has announced his retirement from syndicates at age 84 after revolutionizing the sport, how appropriate would it be for him to finally get that elusive Derby winner 42 years later? read blog
After 40 years, his amazing story needs to be told again. Read Blog
Thirty-nine years ago Kentucky-bred but South American-based mystery horse Canonero II did very well beneath the Twin Spires. Will Peruvian classic winner Murjan follow in his hoof prints?
The mere mention of 1971 Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes hero Canonero II to most horsemen from Latin America immediately invokes pride. Trainer Dante Zanelli Jr. is no different, and he has a healthy respect for the achievements of the Venezuelan star who swept the first two legs of the American Triple Crown. He's just not ready to compare his charge, Jetset Racing's Tomcito, to the legend.
Dark Star's victory in the 1953 Kentucky Derby is the greatest upset of all in the classic, according to readers of bloodhorse.com.
March 14, 1971
Canonero II in Venezuela
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Kitasan Black Faces 10 in Takarazuka Kinen
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- The Player to Return on Churchill's Closing Night