Jockey William Pike skillfully guided Elite Belle through opponents in the stretch, where she caught the leader in the final 100 meters and won the Aus$1 million Railway Stakes (Aus-I) Nov. 22 at Ascot in Perth, Australia.
Champion and prominent Australian sire Canny Lad, broodmare sire of leading sire Redoute's Choice, was euthanized recently at Darley's Woodlands Stud, where he was a pensioner. He was 26.
The winning Canny Lad mare Our Pride and Joy topped trading on the final day of the select portion of the Magic Millions National broodmare sale, which saw overall total receipts soar and an unprecedented clearance rate.
Of the dozen aspirants for the Australian Derby (Aus-I) to prep in the Rosehill Guineas (Aus-I) on March 24, the pair least likely on breeding were the first two home.
He's No Pie Eater is not the most tasteful name to inflict upon a noble Thoroughbred. But it has not stopped him joining some of Australia and New Zealand's finest, including Phar Lap, on the list of Chipping Norton Stakes (Aus-I) winners.
Most Popular Stories
- Three to Represent New York in Derby
- American Pharoah Has Lone Churchill Breeze
- Social Inclusion Second in 2015 Debut
- Puca Works Four Furlongs in Oaks Prep
- Kentucky Derby: Dortmund in the House
- Positive Forecast for Kentucky Derby, Oaks
- Jones Fillies Drill for Kentucky Oaks
- Three Derby Hopefuls Have Derby-Winning Sires
- Kentucky Derby News Update: April 26, 2015
- Calumet Farm: The Rebirth of a Legend