Tranquility Lake, never worse than second in seven tries over the Hollywood Park turf, heads a classy field of seven distaffers in Saturday's $250,000 Gamely Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. I) at nine furlongs. Owned by Mr. and Mrs. Marty Wygod, the Rahy mare captured the 1999 running of the Gamely by better than five lengths.
Tranquility Lake set easy fractions on the Hollywood Park turf course and edged away from Dianehill in the stretch to win the $108,600 Wilshire Handicap (gr. IIIT) in her 2001 debut Sunday.
Tranquility Lake led all the way under jockey Eddie Delahoussaye to win the $500,000 Yellow Ribbon Stakes (gr. IT) by a length over Spanish Fern Saturday at Santa Anita. Over firm turf, Tranquility Lake completed the 1 1/4 miles in 2:02.98 after running the final quarter-mile in :22.63 seconds.
Jockey Corey Nakatani, sidelined since August 26 with a broken collarbone, is scheduled to work horses at Santa Anita this weekend. The rider is hoping to get his doctor's clearance to ride starting next week.
Richard Englander's Devine Wind collared pacesetter River Keen in the stretch and drew away to a one-length win over Irish Prize in the $200,000 Bay Meadows Handicap (gr. IIIT) Saturday at Bay Meadows. Claimed for $40,000 at Hollywood Park in May, Devine Wind earned $110,000 and his first stakes victory with the win.
Tranquility Lake will miss Saturday's Ramona Handicap (gr. IT) due to a fever. The 5-year-old mare was expected to be the favorite and highweight for the nine-furlong race at Del Mar, but she apparently suffered a spider bite and became ill.
The Julio Canani-trained pair of Silic and Ladies Din, the one-two finishers in last year's Shoemaker Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT), repeated that performance Sunday with Silic finishing 1/2-length ahead of Ladies Din.
Most Popular Stories
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Capps' Death is Big Loss to Louisville Equine Program
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Goldikova, Espinoza Among Hall of Fame Inductees
- Brisk Activity Bodes Well for OBS Spring Sale
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury
- Spending Time With New Trainer Kent Sweezey
- OBS Hips to Watch Include Tapwrit's Half Brother