With the winds of change swirling hard around the South Florida racing scene, Gulfstream Park opened for its 2001 meet on Jan. 3 with its usual accompaniment of the top horses and outfits from across the East Coast and Midwest. Perhaps appropriately, with a wrecking ball due to demolish the plant once the meet concludes as part of a Magna Entertainment major reconstruction, and a war over racing dates in the offing, the results of a trio of opening week stakes were as likely as Frank Stronach joining Tim Smith for a friendly round of golf.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Diagnosed With Hip Fracture
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for April 21, 2015
- Calumet Farm: The Rebirth of a Legend
- WV Analysis: Purses Can't Support Race Dates
- Jockey Club Enhances Vet Record Reporting
- South Africa's National Sale Starts April 22
- McKathans Saw Early Brilliance of 'Pharoah'
- Mubtaahij Works Three Furlongs at Arlington
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 04/21/2015
- NTRA Calls for Industry Support of Tax Reform