With workers' compensation rates on the rise again in California, the Thoroughbred group overseeing the statewide pool for horsemen expects to use about $1 million from the purse account to stem a 2013 projected funding gap.
- By Jack Shinar
A bill aimed at easing the strain of workers' compensation insurance costs for California horsemen by raising pari-mutuel takeout on exotic wagers by a half of a percentage point cleared the state Assembly by unanimous vote May 3. It is headed to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger for his signature.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Under Tack Show Can Make or Break Sale
- Dortmund Could Return in Triple Bend
- Irish War Cry Ticks All the Boxes in Five-Furlong Work
- Farrell Vaults to Top of Kentucky Oaks Leaderboard
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Winx Soars to Fifteenth Straight Win
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Veteran Kentucky-Based Hot Walker Roche Dies at 91
- Yorkiepoo Princess Scores Again at Aqueduct