Retired jockey Laffit Pincay Jr. went to Sacramento, Calif., on Wednesday to plead for help for California's embattled racing industry and jockeys.
Partisan wrangling in the California State Assembly on the final day of the 2003 legislative session kept an urgency bill mandating a 0.5% increase in the exotic wagering take-out from gaining final approval Sept. 12. It will likely return for consideration in January.
Taking time out from the state's budget crisis, the California State Assembly honored jockey Victor Espinoza July 1 for his achievements, particularly his wins in the 2002 Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes aboard War Emblem.
Most Popular Stories
- Stevens Says He'll Ride in Breeders' Cup
- Distorted Humor Tops WinStar Stallion Fees
- Will Take Charge to Stand for $30,000
- Zia Park Hosts New Mexico Classic Cup Series
- Bel's Starlet, 27, Dies at Our Mims
- Ashford Execs Testify in Love Me Only Trial
- Tommy Town to Stand GI Winner Boisterous
- Pletcher Pair Heads Turn Back the Alarm
- Mott's BC Fillies are Close to His Heart
- Texas Sire Scrimshaw Relocates to Keen Farms