Retired jockey Laffit Pincay Jr. went to Sacramento, Calif., on Wednesday to plead for help for California's embattled racing industry and jockeys.
Partisan wrangling in the California State Assembly on the final day of the 2003 legislative session kept an urgency bill mandating a 0.5% increase in the exotic wagering take-out from gaining final approval Sept. 12. It will likely return for consideration in January.
Taking time out from the state's budget crisis, the California State Assembly honored jockey Victor Espinoza July 1 for his achievements, particularly his wins in the 2002 Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes aboard War Emblem.
Most Popular Stories
- The Influence of His Majesty
- Wise Dan Turns in First Breeze Since Surgery
- AHC: Bonus Depreciation Bill Passed by House
- Multiple Group I Winner The Fugue Retired
- Jockey Stevens to Undergo Knee Surgery
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- French Derby Duo Clash Again at Longchamp
- Los Alamitos Earns NTRA Safety Accreditation
- Two Fillies Among 37 Ohio Derby Nominees
- Integral Flies to Victory in Falmouth Stakes