Retired jockey Laffit Pincay Jr. went to Sacramento, Calif., on Wednesday to plead for help for California's embattled racing industry and jockeys.
California Assemblywoman Loni Hancock is calling for a 45-day public feedback period on a plan to build a 2,500-slot machine Indian casino in San Pablo, just seven miles from Golden Gate Fields.
With a month left before the Nov. 2 election, proponents of a California initiative that could have authorized slot machines for racetracks and card parlors are folding their hand.
A California Field Poll finds that Proposition 68, an initiative that could bring slot machines to 16 racetracks and card rooms in the state, has lost significant ground since an initial polling in May.
California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger says he will "get rid of" a racing-sponsored initiative that could bring slot machines to tracks, but backers of the measure vowed to press their case with the voters.
Backers of a California initiative that could bring slot machines to several racetracks and card clubs submitted more than a million signatures Friday to county election officials around the state to qualify the measure for voter consideration Nov. 2.
An informational meeting on a racing-backed slots initiative that could add as much as $300 million a year to purses in California drew only a handful of horsemen at Santa Anita Friday morning.
Major privately-owned California racetracks and card clubs have thrown down the gauntlet in their bid to potentially break Indian tribes' monopoly over operation of slot machines in the state.
Slot-seeking California racetracks could benefit by a proposed state constitutional amendment aimed at pressuring Indian tribes to part with up to 25% of their casino profits.
Most Popular Stories
- Two IL Tracks File for Bankruptcy Protection
- British Racing Undertakes Education Program
- Undefeated Dortmund Wasn't Always So Popular
- Lukas Pointing 'Brandi' to Kentucky Oaks
- Baffert Quartet Faces Shared Belief in Malibu
- Golden Gate Winter/Spring Meet Starts Dec. 26
- Secret Circle Aims for Season-Ending Win
- Millionaire Kiri's Clown Euthanized at Age 25
- Intriguing Maidens in MD Juvenile Futurity
- Baltas, Pedroza Square Off at Los Alamitos