Now that voters in California have decisively approved a massive increase in Indian gaming for four large Southern California tribes, the chairman of the state's horse racing board says it is time for the tribal casinos to help out his ailing industry with financial mitigation.
A California state senator says he expects to see tribal casinos develop an ownership stake in racetracks, leading to the potential for wagering devices such as Instant Racing or slot machines at racing facilities.
Opponents of California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's deals with four Indian casino tribes -- which would substantially increase the number of slot machines in the state -- began turning in signatures they hope will allow voters a chance in February to challenge the compacts.
Speculation that a revenue sharing agreement could result in California between racetracks and tribal casinos over slot machines increased this week after a lawsuit on behalf of five tracks filed last year against Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger was dropped May 25.
A California initiative that could result in five racetracks getting slot machines has qualified for the Nov. 2 general election ballot.
A California gambling authority told a group of satellite wagering representatives Monday that he believes a racetrack-sponsored slot machine initiative has little or no chance of passage should it qualify for the November ballot.
An informational meeting on a racing-backed slots initiative that could add as much as $300 million a year to purses in California drew only a handful of horsemen at Santa Anita Friday morning.
Most Popular Stories
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Older Divisions
- Flashback Likely Pick Among Malibu Probables
- Digging Deeper into Breeders' Cup Lasix Study
- Valenzuela Expects Healthy Santa Anita Meet
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- Stretch Out No Problem for Unbeaten Samraat
- Storms Eye and Europe to Bearfoot Farms
- GII Winner Forty Tales Retires to Sequel NY
- Brown Enters Pleuven, Request in Dania Beach