Jockey Garrett Gomez won both divisions of the $300,000 California Breeders Champion Stakes for 3-year-olds in remarkably similar fashion Jan. 26 at Santa Anita Park, bringing both Qiaona and Tiz a Minister from far back.
Weewinnin, who blew out the Betfair Hollywood Park toteboard at 60-1 to take the King Glorious Stakes Dec. 16, will try two turns for the first time in the $300,000 California Breeders Champion Stakes Jan. 26 at Santa Anita.
Swiss Diva extended her unbeaten record to three on Friday when overwhelming her opposition with a 8 1⁄2-length triumph in Santa Anita's $138,750 California Breeders Champion Stakes for 2-year-old fillies.
Eleven 2-year-old fillies are set to go to the post Friday in Santa Anita's $125,000 California Breeders' Champion Stakes, a seven-furlong event for California-breds that seems to be wide open.
Sierra Sweetie, under Victor Espinoza pressed the pace to the quarter pole and went on to an impressive three-length win in Wednesday's $125,000 added California Breeders' Champion Stakes for 2-year-old fillies at Santa Anita.
Made the favorite in his turf debut Sunday at Santa Anita Park, 2003 juvenile champion Action This Day failed to fire while finishing ninth. In other stakes on opening day of the winter meeting, Whilly prevailed in the $112,700 Sir Beaufort Stakes and Uncle Denny took the $138,625 California Breeders' Champion Stakes.
Bettors would have done well to heed the aptly-suggestive Don'tsellmeshort's name after the Dan Hendrick-trained 2-year-old colt took the $125,000 California Breeders' Champion Stakes at odds of 13-1 at Santa Anita Friday.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Gets First Look at Churchill Downs
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo
- Minding Leads Sweep in One Thousand Guineas
- A Derby Rookie's First Churchill Morning
- Nyquist Ships to Churchill Day After Work
- Maurice, Chautauqua Victorious in Hong Kong
- Uncle Lino Game in California Chrome Stakes
- Exaggerator Works for Kentucky Derby Bid
- Toews On Ice Glides to William Walker Win
- Dettori Strikes With 'Gold' in 2000 Guineas