Owners of California-bred foals of 2010 have until Feb. 15 to pay a $300 fee for eligibility in the new Golden State Series, a program of stakes and purse enhancements totaling more than $2.3 million in its initial year.
The California Fall Yearling Sale has been reconfigured and will now be called the California Cup Yearling Sale, it was announced Feb. 18. The catalog will be open to all yearlings and not restricted to California-breds.
Jerry Frankel's Joey Franco, who won the Triple Bend Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. I) and the Del Mar Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) in 2003, was named the California-bred Horse of the Year.
TVG will provide live, on-site coverage of Cal Cup XIV from Oak Tree at Santa Anita this Saturday on "Trackside Live!: Oak Tree."
Jockey Julie Krone will return to riding Friday at Santa Anita. Krone, a Hall of Fame jockey, has not ridden since April of 1999. The race is also the first race for her mount, Justly Royal.
The California Thoroughbred Breeders Association will have more power over how purse money is spent under a measure recently signed into law by Gov. Gray Davis.
The $1.275-million Cal Cup, a series of 10 stakes for California-breds, has drawn 110 horses for its 12th running Saturday at Santa Anita Park. The day is headed by the $250,000 Wells Fargo Cal Cup Classic at 1 1/8 miles.
Most Popular Stories
- Callback Rings Up Victory in Las Virgenes
- The Great War Has More in Store After Romp
- 'Brandi' Makes Martha Washington Interesting
- Undefeated Ocean Knight Wins Sam F. Davis
- Avanzare Responds For Stevens in Arcadia Win
- Early Nominees to Triple Crown Races Increase
- Conquest Two Step Surprises in Palos Verdes
- Testa Rossi Gets Endeavour Victory on DQ
- Can Texas Red Be Beaten in the San Vicente?
- Aqueduct Cancels Racing for Saturday, Jan. 31