Hall of Fame jockey Russell Baze made his first-ever foray to Calder Racecourse Sunday and returned to California with a victory aboard David S. Romanik's homebred Southern Cal in the $100,000 Calder Turf Sprint Handicap to his credit.
Joseph R. Lunetta's Joe's Son Joey led a slew of closers to the wire to notch a 1 1/4-length victory in the $100,000 Calder Turf Sprint Handicap on Summit of Speed day at the south Florida oval.
Turf sprint specialist Texas Glitter, with Jerry Bailey aboard, tied the world record for five furlongs on the turf of :54 4/5 in winning the $100,000 Calder Turf Sprint Handicap Saturday.
Seven fillies are entered to run in the $400,000 Princess Rooney Handicap, the feature race of Saturday's $1-million Summit of Speed program at Calder Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Classic Empire to Resume Galloping
- Sanford Adds Another Chapter to Rich History Saturday
- Tiz a Slam Heads Prince of Wales Stakes
- Litfin: No Going Against Arrogate in San Diego
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Sircat Sally Faces Stiff Test in San Clemente
- Abel Tasman Brings Form to Coaching Club American Oaks
- Arrogate Begins Del Mar Journey in San Diego Handicap
- Del Mar Addressing Safety, Field Size Concerns
- Solis to Evaluate Future Following Surgery