Hall of Fame jockey Russell Baze made his first-ever foray to Calder Racecourse Sunday and returned to California with a victory aboard David S. Romanik's homebred Southern Cal in the $100,000 Calder Turf Sprint Handicap to his credit.
Joseph R. Lunetta's Joe's Son Joey led a slew of closers to the wire to notch a 1 1/4-length victory in the $100,000 Calder Turf Sprint Handicap on Summit of Speed day at the south Florida oval.
Turf sprint specialist Texas Glitter, with Jerry Bailey aboard, tied the world record for five furlongs on the turf of :54 4/5 in winning the $100,000 Calder Turf Sprint Handicap Saturday.
Seven fillies are entered to run in the $400,000 Princess Rooney Handicap, the feature race of Saturday's $1-million Summit of Speed program at Calder Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Curalina Opens Year with La Troienne Win
- Derby Observations, Strategy, and Wagers
- Routine, Quiet Oaks Morning on Backside
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- NBC Offers Virtual Kentucky Derby Experience
- Derby by the Speed Numbers
- Unlocking Winners Kentucky Derby 142 Analysis
- Force the Pass Heads Fort Marcy
- Team Optimistic, Nyquist 'Full of Energy'