Hall of Fame jockey Russell Baze made his first-ever foray to Calder Racecourse Sunday and returned to California with a victory aboard David S. Romanik's homebred Southern Cal in the $100,000 Calder Turf Sprint Handicap to his credit.
Joseph R. Lunetta's Joe's Son Joey led a slew of closers to the wire to notch a 1 1/4-length victory in the $100,000 Calder Turf Sprint Handicap on Summit of Speed day at the south Florida oval.
Turf sprint specialist Texas Glitter, with Jerry Bailey aboard, tied the world record for five furlongs on the turf of :54 4/5 in winning the $100,000 Calder Turf Sprint Handicap Saturday.
Seven fillies are entered to run in the $400,000 Princess Rooney Handicap, the feature race of Saturday's $1-million Summit of Speed program at Calder Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Boden Takes on Key Positions at Calumet Farm
- American Pharoah to Continue Racing
- Ireland and the Thoroughbred
- Cavorting Drops a Level to Prioress
- First Winner for Adios Charlie
- Former Derby Museum Resident Au Moon Dies
- Pinnacle Peak Ships to Monmouth for Sapling
- KY Downs Horsemen Can Pledge to TCA
- Gulfstream Championship Meet Schedule Set
- AQHA President Blodgett Elected to AHC Board