Hall of Fame jockey Russell Baze made his first-ever foray to Calder Racecourse Sunday and returned to California with a victory aboard David S. Romanik's homebred Southern Cal in the $100,000 Calder Turf Sprint Handicap to his credit.
Joseph R. Lunetta's Joe's Son Joey led a slew of closers to the wire to notch a 1 1/4-length victory in the $100,000 Calder Turf Sprint Handicap on Summit of Speed day at the south Florida oval.
Turf sprint specialist Texas Glitter, with Jerry Bailey aboard, tied the world record for five furlongs on the turf of :54 4/5 in winning the $100,000 Calder Turf Sprint Handicap Saturday.
Seven fillies are entered to run in the $400,000 Princess Rooney Handicap, the feature race of Saturday's $1-million Summit of Speed program at Calder Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Mott's BC Fillies are Close to His Heart
- Longines Named Official Breeders' Cup Partner
- Breeders' Cup 'The Works' Returns to TVG
- Handle Down at Challenged Delaware Park Meet
- Canterbury Requests 70 Racing Dates for 2015
- BC Challenge a Lucrative Entry for Starters
- Can Calculator Figure in BC Juvenile?
- Breeders' Cup Features 201 Pre-Entered Horses
- California's Golden Eagle Farm Set to Close
- That Handicapping Show: Hagyard Fayette S.