Hall of Fame jockey Russell Baze made his first-ever foray to Calder Racecourse Sunday and returned to California with a victory aboard David S. Romanik's homebred Southern Cal in the $100,000 Calder Turf Sprint Handicap to his credit.
Joseph R. Lunetta's Joe's Son Joey led a slew of closers to the wire to notch a 1 1/4-length victory in the $100,000 Calder Turf Sprint Handicap on Summit of Speed day at the south Florida oval.
Turf sprint specialist Texas Glitter, with Jerry Bailey aboard, tied the world record for five furlongs on the turf of :54 4/5 in winning the $100,000 Calder Turf Sprint Handicap Saturday.
Seven fillies are entered to run in the $400,000 Princess Rooney Handicap, the feature race of Saturday's $1-million Summit of Speed program at Calder Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Unique Bella Goes Easy in Five-Furlong Work
- Pierce Trains Tampa String for Sam-Son, Pin Oak
- CHRB Approves Medication-Based Conditions
- Nomorerichblondes Leads Home KY Breds in Meydan
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Finger Lakes Racing Dates Could Plummet Under Proposal
- Hong Kong Stars to Battle on Sunday at Sha Tin