Eclipse Award-winning sprinter Big Drama, south Florida riding stalwart Eduardo Nunez, and top-five, all-time Calder trainer Dan Hurtak were among the nine new members elected to the Calder Hall of Fame.
After a six-year hiatus, the Calder Casino & Race Course Hall of Fame will welcome nine new members to its roster when inducting three horses, two jockeys, two trainers, and two owners/breeders.
South Florida training stalwart Frank Gomez died Dec. 23 at his home in Pembroke Pines, Fla. He was 78.
Calder Race Course will induct four individuals into its Hall of Fame this year on Sunday, Sept. 3: Shocker T. (horse), Eddie Plesa, Jr. (trainer), Herb and Ione Elkins (owner/breeder), and Rosemary Homeister, Jr. (jockey).
The racehorse Boots 'n Jackie, trainer Bill White, John Bush's Bee Bee Stable, and jockey Pedro Rodriguez will be inducted into the Calder Racecourse Hall of Fame on Sunday, Aug. 7.
Four new members will be inducted into the Calder Hall of Fame on July 13. They are: Hollywood Wildcat (horse), Luis Olivares (trainer), Ocala Stud Farm (owner/breeder), and Alex Solis (jockey).
Most Popular Stories
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Starship Jubilee Much the Best in Nassau Stakes
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Well-Placed Illuminant Shines in Monrovia
- Tapwrit Works Towards Belmont; True Timber Confirmed
- Churchill Completes Rare Guineas Double
- Gormley Works for Possible Belmont Start