Awards, stakes programs benefit owners of Cal-breds Download Now
Favored California Chrome took command at the head of the lane and drew well clear to win the May 3 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
Cal-bred Rousing Sermon, trained by Hall of Famer Jerry Hollendorfer, was the last and lone Derby worker May 1 at Churchill Downs. Jockey Jose Lezcano aboard the son of Lucky Pulpit for the first time.
Evening Jewel, a finalist for 2010 champion 3-year-old filly, faces seven Cal- and Fla-breds in the $300,000 Sunshine Millions Distaff Jan. 25. The 1 1/16-mile race will be run over the new dirt surface at Santa Anita Park.
Bob Black Jack, the runner-up to Colonel John in the April 5 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I), drilled a half-mile at Churchill Downs late Monday morning in :48 3/5.
Most Popular Stories
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work
- Arrogate Logs Final Pegasus Work
- Classic Empire On Track for Holy Bull
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season
- Pegasus Workers Drill Across Florida
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Louisiana Derby Season Begins
- Chrome and Arrogate: Who to Root For?
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- For January Race, Pegasus Field Depth Impressive