Khalid Abdullah's Juddmonte Farms may have taken the worst of things in the Dec. 7 barrier draw for the Cathay Pacific Hong Kong International Races.
An audible groan went up from the table of traveling lads from France at the Breeders' Cup World Championships post-position draw when it was announced three-time Mile (gr. IT) winner had drawn the rail.
Jon and Joel take a first look at the Pre-Entries, focusing on the Filly & Mare Turf, the Sprint, the Turf, the Dirt Mile, the Mile, the Ladies' Classic, and the Classic. Brought to you by Taylor Made Stallions. Watch Video
Goldikova picked up right where she left off last season, notching another group I victory as she held off the late charge of Cirrus Des Aigles to capture the $353,785 Prix d'Ispahan (Fr-I) at Longchamp May 22.
Benefitting from a strong ride by Johnny Murtagh, Rip Van Winkle got up in the final strides to deny Twice Over victory in a thrilling renewal of the Juddmonte International (Eng-I) at York Aug. 17.
Although there were no grade I races in the this past weekend, we did kick off the second season for 3-year-olds in rousing fashion and caught an early glimpse of the possible European challengers for the Breeders' Cup.
French raider Byword led a Khalid Abdullah one-two by holding off a charging Twice Over to take the Prince of Wales's Stakes (Eng-I) by a half-length at Royal Ascot June 16.
Champion mare Goldikova made the perfect start to her 5-year-old campaign, winning the Prix d'Ispahan (Fr-I) by a half-length over Byword at Longchamp May 23.
Most Popular Stories
- Gelfenstein Farm Blossoms in Ocala
- Saratoga Racing Secretary Gabriel Leaving
- Lemon Drop Kid: A Class Act
- Wallyanna Back for More in Saranac
- Kentucky to Tackle Drug Compounder Concerns
- Goldencents vs. Wise Dan Showdown Likely
- Minnesota-Breds Featured at Canterbury
- Nebraska Court to Decide on Instant Racing
- Indiana Proposes Emergency Cobalt Threshold
- TimeformUS Weekend Plays: Woodward Stakes