John A. Nerud's grade I winner Clabber Girl was euthanized June 7 due to the infirmities of old age at Sugar Maple Farm near Poughquag, N.Y.
Mount Joy Stables' Smooth Air and 70-year-old trainer Bennie Stutts saw things return to normal Sunday, April 27, at Churchill Downs, including the colt's temperature, appetite and morning regimen.
Mount Joy Stables' Smooth Air spiked a slight fever Thursday that prevented his going to the track for a scheduled gallop in preparation for the May 3 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
John Oxley's multiple graded stakes winner Strong Contender, scratched as the second choice the morning of Saturday's Donn Handicap, has possibly suffered a career-ending injury.
Ken and Sarah Ramsey's Kitten's Joy is recovering at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington, Ky. after undergoing surgery Nov. 9 to remove bone chips from his left front knee. The runner-up in the John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) Oct. 30 had several carpal tips removed from the knee according to Dr. Larry Bramlage, who performed the operation.
Most Popular Stories
- The Pizza Man Wins Hollywood Turf Cup
- Ahh Chocolate Smooth in Falls City
- Green Gratto Stuns Fall Highweight Field
- Control Stake Too Tough in Thanksgiving 'Cap
- Heart to Heart Wire to Wire in River City
- Invaders Poised to Have Impact in Japan Cup
- Hollendorfer Gets 7,000th Win of Career
- Tonalist, Red Vine Please in Cigar Mile Drill
- Tonalist Takes on Private Zone in Cigar Mile
- Runhappy Strong in Five Furlong Move