John A. Nerud's grade I winner Clabber Girl was euthanized June 7 due to the infirmities of old age at Sugar Maple Farm near Poughquag, N.Y.
Mount Joy Stables' Smooth Air and 70-year-old trainer Bennie Stutts saw things return to normal Sunday, April 27, at Churchill Downs, including the colt's temperature, appetite and morning regimen.
Mount Joy Stables' Smooth Air spiked a slight fever Thursday that prevented his going to the track for a scheduled gallop in preparation for the May 3 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
John Oxley's multiple graded stakes winner Strong Contender, scratched as the second choice the morning of Saturday's Donn Handicap, has possibly suffered a career-ending injury.
Ken and Sarah Ramsey's Kitten's Joy is recovering at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington, Ky. after undergoing surgery Nov. 9 to remove bone chips from his left front knee. The runner-up in the John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) Oct. 30 had several carpal tips removed from the knee according to Dr. Larry Bramlage, who performed the operation.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Arrives at Los Alamitos
- Jaramillo Named to Ride Majesto in Derby
- Suddenbreakingnews to Have New Look in Derby
- Ben's Cat Victorious in Return at Laurel
- Nyquist Gets First Look at Churchill Downs
- Adventist 'Ready' if Derby Spot Opens Up
- Lady Shipman Easy Winner in Belmont Return
- Nyquist Another Big Score for Dennis O'Neill
- Haskin: Viva Canonero...Again
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo