Cirrus des Aigles, likely favorite for the Dec. 9 Longines Hong Kong Cup (HK-I), has been withdrawn from the race at Sha Tin Racecourse due to a tendon issue.
The Dec. 6 barrier draw provided a little added intrigue for the Longines Hong Kong International races, particularly in the $2.8 million Longines Hong Kong Cup (HK-I), where top-rated Cirrus des Aigles drew well.
A below-strength Illinois Racing Board, after a grueling day of testimony and deliberation, required two voice votes Sept. 25 to approve a hotly contested schedule for 2013 live racing.
The decision to revise the qualifying process for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) was a track decision and was not submitted to the Churchill Downs, Inc. board for approval, president Kevin Flanery said.
In theory, Illinois horse racing should be on the verge of receiving tens of millions of dollars in revenue enhancements after a recent flurry of action by state and federal courts, the state legislature and Gov. Pat Quinn.
Arlington Park and Illinois horsemen have agreed to tie individual race purses to field size this year in an effort to ensure more bettable races.
Most Popular Stories
- Carpe Diem, OBS March Co-Topper, Wins Debut
- Saratoga Attendance Spikes; Handle Declines
- New York-Breds Could Continue Strong Year
- Competitive Edge Super Sharp in Hopeful Romp
- The Week in Photos for 9/2/2014
- Churchill Downs Opens 12-Day Meet Sept. 5
- Study: Boots, Wraps Increase Leg Heat during Exercise
- Del Mar Trainers to Hop in Bouncey Ball Race
- Miss Serendipity, Blanc Snatch Yellow Ribbon
- Sharp Sensation Edges Ben's Cat in 'Monster