Laura and Eugene Melnyk's Speightstown, who surprised Congaree with a convincing win in the May 1 Churchill Downs Handicap (gr. II), is the 119-pound high weight in Saturday's $200,000-added True North Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) on the Belmont Stakes undercard.
Jockey Joe Bravo kicked off his comeback in style, winning three races on the opening day card at Monmouth Park, including the $100,000 Red Bank Handicap on Just Le Facts and the $50,000 Gilded Time Stakes on Buzzy's Gold.
Chris Thomas Olrick's Super Fuse, making only his second start outside of South Florida and his first start on a sloppy racetrack, pulled away in the stretch for a 3 ¼-length victory Sunday afternoon over favored American Mon in the six-furlong Huntington for 2-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence
- Fresh Horses Plentiful in 2016 Kentucky Derby
- Full Gate for Pat Day Mile
- Ramseys Go It Alone with Oscar Nominated
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Gryder Seeks First Derby With Trojan Nation
- Nyquist Jogs, Schools at Churchill Downs
- Seasoned Sprinters Fill Churchill Downs S.