John Kluge, who owned Morven Stud Farm in Virginia and once was listed as the richest person in the United States, died Sept. 7 at his Charlottesville, Va., home.
Magicalmysterycat, a 4-year-old multiple grade II winning daughter of Storm Cat, became the first seven-figure transaction of the 2001 Keeneland January Horses of All Ages sale when she was purchased by WinStar Farm for $1.7-million Tuesday. The chestnut filly produced from the multiple grade II winner Nannerl (by Valid Appeal) was consigned by Eaton Sales, agent for Anne and Satish Sanan's Padua Stables. Padua had paid $1.1 million for Magicalmysterycat at the 1998 Keeneland September yearling sale. Trained by D. Wayne Lukas, Magicalmysterycat won the Schuylerville and Landaluce Stakes, both grade II, as a 2-year-old.
Most Popular Stories
- Hialeah May Push for Thoroughbred License
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- Ramseys Ready for Claiming Crown
- Minimum Stakes Purse to Increase at Aqueduct
- And They're Off: Hollywood Park Farewell
- Rosalind Heads Hollywood Starlet
- Jara's Sister to Make Panama Riding Debut
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension
- Erskine Says Juddmonte Group Not for Sale
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?