Dr. Judson L. Butler, 75, an equine veterinarian and co-founder of New York Horse Rescue, died Dec. 6 as a result of injuries he sustained when he was hit by a loose horse at Belmont Park in July.
English invader Bayeux, ignored at odds of 23-1 in his American debut, unleashed a strong stretch drive to score an upset victory over Lord Admiral in the $168,900 River City Handicap (gr. IIIT) on turf Friday at Churchill Downs.
Kentucky legislators have left open the possibility expanded gambling could be revisited in the future, but they claim greed and resistance by the horse racing and breeding industry put a casino bill on the shelf for the 2004 session. Industry officials disagree with that perspective.
Edgar Prado has the mount on British import Dr Greenfield for the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) as Jerry Bailey will ride Stronach Stable's Thunder Blitz in the 1 1/2-mile classic, according to a Sporting Life report.
Most Popular Stories
- Suffolk Downs, Horsemen Have Deal for Meets
- TJC Acquires Majority Interest in Blood-Horse
- American Pharoah Shows Readiness for Rebel
- Trainer A. C. Avila Suspended, Fined by CHRB
- California Chrome Working Steadily for Dubai
- Caesars' Moves Impact Turfway, ThistleDown
- Ben's Cat Maryland-Bred HOY for Fourth Year
- Nerud 3-Year-Old Wins Again at Big A
- NJ Track Calls for End to Simulcast Impasse
- Charles Town, Oaklawn, Laurel Cancel Cards