Eclipse champions Acclamation and Amazombie, as well as multiple stakes-winning mare Ultra Blend are the finalists for the 2011 California-bred Horse of the Year.
Shipping to Southern California for the first time, the well-traveled Banned outfought Midnight Interlude by a nose in a taut finish to the $250,000 Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) on the turf Sept. 4.
Shipping in from Arlington Park, Banned takes on some of the best turf runners in Southern California's 3-year-old division in the $250,000 Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) Sept. 4.
Jockey Patrick Valenzuela drove Burns through an opening at the rail past mid-stretch to capture the $150,000 La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIT), giving trainer Barry Abrams a special moment at Del Mar Aug. 13.
The withdrawal of Mr. Commons left a big hole in the $150,000 La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIT), one that Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) winner Midnight Interlude will attempt to fill on the Del Mar turf Aug. 13.
Millionaire Smooth Air, a grade II winner this year and last year, will be sidelined for several months because of a hairline fracture to his pelvis.
Mount Joy Stables' Smooth Air and 70-year-old trainer Bennie Stutts saw things return to normal Sunday, April 27, at Churchill Downs, including the colt's temperature, appetite and morning regimen.
Grade I winner and Canadian champion Perfect Soul and grade II winner Saarland were represented by their first foals as stallions.
Gustav Schickedanz's homebred Wando, who became the first horse in 10 years to sweep Canada's Triple Crown, was crowned Canadian Horse of the Year and top 3-year-old male when Sovereign Awards were announced Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Hence Springs Upset in Sunland Derby
- Dortmund Back to Dirt in Next Start
- Girvin Heads Louisiana Derby Field
- Undefeated Ghalia Takes Sunland Park Oaks
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- Farrell Poised for Next Test in Fair Grounds Oaks