In the case of Palace Malice, it was a simple, but fateful, decision by Burl McBride, the trainer of the colt's dam, Palace Rumor, that has led the son of Curlin to Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby. read blog
No call at 2 a.m. is good. Rodney Leibring, DVM, received one of those calls on Nov. 6. Leibring, a Thoroughbred racetrack practitioner, was asked by the male caller if he was at Ellis Park yet. Leibring, confused because he wasn't expected there until after 8 a.m., replied, "No why?" The man told Leibring that he needed to get there right away. A tornado had just hit the racetrack's stables, and it didn't look good.
- By Tom LaMarra
Insurance adjusters were at Ellis Park Nov. 7 assessing the damage wrought by a tornado that struck the western Kentucky racetrack early in the morning the previous day.
Most Popular Stories
- Strong Racing Stable Has Oxley Looking Forward
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- A Closer Look at Smarty Jones Winner Uncontested
- Cuomo Proposes Returning NYRA to Private Control
- Cuomo Plan Asks New York Racing to Pay for Drug Testing
- Southwest the Next Target for Uncontested
- Stronach Still Seeking New Heights for Racing
- Bayern's First Foal, a Filly, Arrives in Ontario
- Cautious Giant Brings Top Price at Barretts Mixed Sale
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm