In the case of Palace Malice, it was a simple, but fateful, decision by Burl McBride, the trainer of the colt's dam, Palace Rumor, that has led the son of Curlin to Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby. read blog
No call at 2 a.m. is good. Rodney Leibring, DVM, received one of those calls on Nov. 6. Leibring, a Thoroughbred racetrack practitioner, was asked by the male caller if he was at Ellis Park yet. Leibring, confused because he wasn't expected there until after 8 a.m., replied, "No why?" The man told Leibring that he needed to get there right away. A tornado had just hit the racetrack's stables, and it didn't look good.
Insurance adjusters were at Ellis Park Nov. 7 assessing the damage wrought by a tornado that struck the western Kentucky racetrack early in the morning the previous day.
Most Popular Stories
- Competitive Field of 12 Distaffers in Frankel
- NY to Adopt ARCI Rules on Multiple Violations
- Don't Tell Sophia Back at Oaklawn for 2015
- Handsome Mike to Stand at Pleasant Acres
- New Purse Payout for Charles Town Classic
- Baffert Quartet Faces Shared Belief in Malibu
- Qatar Sponsorship Boosts Goodwood Purses
- Champion High Chaparral Euthanized at 15
- Scholarship Named in Honor of Thornbury
- Gulfstream Builds Stalls for Displaced Horses