In the case of Palace Malice, it was a simple, but fateful, decision by Burl McBride, the trainer of the colt's dam, Palace Rumor, that has led the son of Curlin to Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby. read blog
No call at 2 a.m. is good. Rodney Leibring, DVM, received one of those calls on Nov. 6. Leibring, a Thoroughbred racetrack practitioner, was asked by the male caller if he was at Ellis Park yet. Leibring, confused because he wasn't expected there until after 8 a.m., replied, "No why?" The man told Leibring that he needed to get there right away. A tornado had just hit the racetrack's stables, and it didn't look good.
- By Tom LaMarra
Insurance adjusters were at Ellis Park Nov. 7 assessing the damage wrought by a tornado that struck the western Kentucky racetrack early in the morning the previous day.
Most Popular Stories
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- Skychai Racing Purchases Interest in Fast and Accurate
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- McCraken Stretches Out in Keeneland Work
- Hence Springs Upset in Sunland Derby
- Dortmund Back to Dirt in Next Start
- Animo de Valeroso to Stand at Duncan Farms
- Honorable Duty Aims to Continue Fair Grounds Roll
- McIngvales Repeat $10K College Scholarship Offer
- Maker Trio Heads Muniz Memorial Handicap