In the case of Palace Malice, it was a simple, but fateful, decision by Burl McBride, the trainer of the colt's dam, Palace Rumor, that has led the son of Curlin to Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby. read blog
No call at 2 a.m. is good. Rodney Leibring, DVM, received one of those calls on Nov. 6. Leibring, a Thoroughbred racetrack practitioner, was asked by the male caller if he was at Ellis Park yet. Leibring, confused because he wasn't expected there until after 8 a.m., replied, "No why?" The man told Leibring that he needed to get there right away. A tornado had just hit the racetrack's stables, and it didn't look good.
Insurance adjusters were at Ellis Park Nov. 7 assessing the damage wrought by a tornado that struck the western Kentucky racetrack early in the morning the previous day.
Most Popular Stories
- Lord Nelson Nabs Texas Red in San Vicente
- Maryland Positives for Compounded Drug Found
- Hard to Stay Notgo Romps in Franklin Square
- Pletcher's Donn Quartet Breezes at Palm Beach
- California Chrome Works, Set for San Antonio
- California Chrome Picks Up Cal-Bred Awards
- Take Charge Brandi On Oaks Path, Lukas Says
- Hoppertunity Confirmed for San Antonio Start
- California Chrome Works February 1, 2015
- Callback Rings Up Victory in Las Virgenes