In the case of Palace Malice, it was a simple, but fateful, decision by Burl McBride, the trainer of the colt's dam, Palace Rumor, that has led the son of Curlin to Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby. read blog
No call at 2 a.m. is good. Rodney Leibring, DVM, received one of those calls on Nov. 6. Leibring, a Thoroughbred racetrack practitioner, was asked by the male caller if he was at Ellis Park yet. Leibring, confused because he wasn't expected there until after 8 a.m., replied, "No why?" The man told Leibring that he needed to get there right away. A tornado had just hit the racetrack's stables, and it didn't look good.
Insurance adjusters were at Ellis Park Nov. 7 assessing the damage wrought by a tornado that struck the western Kentucky racetrack early in the morning the previous day.
Most Popular Stories
- Wise Dan Won't Run in Fourstardave
- Einstein Moving to Adena Springs Canada
- Keeneland September Catalogs More Than 4,000
- Stall Guns for Departing's Grade I in Whitney
- Grade I Producer Garden Secrets Dies
- Churchill Downs Commits Money to RMTC
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Venus de Milo, Narniyn Square Off in Nassau
- TOBA July Member of the Month
- Del Mar Makes Adjustment to Slow Polytrack