Following a four-length win at Belmont Park in the Peter Pan, Tonalist will have the opportunity June 7 to capture the Triple Crown race that eluded his maternal grandsire while carrying Robert S. Evans' colors.
Champion racehorse and successful sire Pleasant Tap was euthanized Oct. 8 due to laminitis at William S. Farish's Lane's End Farm near Versailles, Ky.
Cherokee Colony, a grade I winner who sired 10 stakes winners, died last week at the University of California at Davis Veterinary Hospital after suffering an internal rupture.
Pleasant Colony, who won the 1981 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and Preakness Stakes (gr. I), died Dec. 31 of natural causes in his paddock at George Grayson's Blue Ridge Farm near Upperville, Va.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Works, Set for San Antonio
- California Chrome Picks Up Cal-Bred Awards
- Hoppertunity Confirmed for San Antonio Start
- Pletcher's Donn Quartet Breezed at Palm Beach
- Take Charge Brandi On Oaks Path, Lukas Says
- Callback Rings Up Victory in Las Virgenes
- 'Brandi' Makes Martha Washington Interesting
- The Great War Has More in Store After Romp
- Undefeated Ocean Knight Wins Sam F. Davis
- Early Nominees to Triple Crown Races Increase