Following a four-length win at Belmont Park in the Peter Pan, Tonalist will have the opportunity June 7 to capture the Triple Crown race that eluded his maternal grandsire while carrying Robert S. Evans' colors.
Champion racehorse and successful sire Pleasant Tap was euthanized Oct. 8 due to laminitis at William S. Farish's Lane's End Farm near Versailles, Ky.
Cherokee Colony, a grade I winner who sired 10 stakes winners, died last week at the University of California at Davis Veterinary Hospital after suffering an internal rupture.
Pleasant Colony, who won the 1981 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and Preakness Stakes (gr. I), died Dec. 31 of natural causes in his paddock at George Grayson's Blue Ridge Farm near Upperville, Va.
Most Popular Stories
- Force the Pass Brilliant in Belmont Derby
- Effinex Outlasts Tonalist at Wire in Suburban
- Speightster Still Undefeated With Dwyer Win
- Coffee Clique Proves Best in James Penny
- Irish Jasper Draws Away in Victory Ride
- American Pharoah to Haskell
- Trainer Desormeaux in New York State of Mind
- Front-Running Golden Horn Rolls in Eclipse
- Jockeys Fined for Whip Violations in SoCal
- 'Kathy' Prevails in Perfect Sting Thriller