Keeneland's September yearling sale wrapped up its one-day Book 5 session Sept. 24 in Lexington with similar figures to last year's Book 5, and overall figures are still rolling ahead of last year's returns.
One year after the sale registered positive results in gross, average, and median price, optimism remains the key word going into the March 12 Barretts March select sale of 2-year-olds in training.
The number of horses sold, gross revenue, average price, and median price all dropped at the California yearling sale held Oct. 2 at Fairplex Park.
The marathon Keeneland September yearling sale set a record for gross receipts at any equine auction when Bruno de Berdt signed the ticket early in the session Monday for an Officer colt bought for $45,000 from the consignment of Peter O'Callaghan's Woods Edge Farm.
A California-bred filly by millionaire Event of the Year, out of the unraced Storm Cat mare Stormy Regina, brought a final bid of $160,000 to top the Barretts October preferred yearling sale Tuesday in Pomona, Calif.
The summer yearling sale season kicked off Wednesday with the Fasig-Tipton sale in Lexington, Ky. Buyers, sellers, and sales company officials offered the following observations.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- WinStar Farm Sets 2017 Stud Fees
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill
- China Horse Club Buys into California Chrome
- Lightstream Rallies to Win Raven Run
- Admirals War Chest Repeats MD Million Classic
- Winx Easily Wins Second Straight Cox Plate
- Royal Posse Sails Clear in Empire Classic
- Hoppertunity, Melatonin Breeze for Classic
- Nobiz Like Shobiz Settling in at Old Friends