The parent companies of two Miami pari-mutuel facilities on June 30 filed a lawsuit that asks a state court in Tallahassee, Fla., to prevent Hialeah Park from having a casino.
Hialeah Park owner and president John Brunetti said June 22 that Calder Race Course's lawsuit that seeks to prevent Hialeah from having a casino will not stop him from applying for a casino license from Florida regulators.
Calder Race Course has asked a state court in Tallahassee, Fla., to overturn a provision of a 2010 Florida law that allows Hialeah Park to apply for and operate a casino.
A judge in a state circuit court in Miami on Aug. 8 dismissed Internet entrepreneur Halsey Minor's civil suit that requested a transfer in control of Hialeah Park from its chairman and principal owner John Brunetti to the city of Hialeah, Fla.
Hialeah Park received a Quarter Horse permit from the Florida Division of Pari-Mutuel Wagering on March 17, with an apparent mandate to begin that racing by March 17, 2010.
Three-time grade I winner Sweet Return has been moved to Brent Fernung's Journeyman Stud near Ocala, Fla., for the 2009 breeding season.
John J. Brunetti's Red Oak Farm has bought Good Chance Farm near Ocala, Fla.
Former racehorses and their new careers will be featured at ReRun New Jersey's second-annual All-Thoroughbred Charity Horse Show on Saturday, Sept. 20.
Having been rebuffed by State of Florida lawmakers in his efforts to revive legislation that would allow his track exclusive operating dates, Hialeah Park chairman John Brunetti said he does not expect the historic track to open in 2002 or, quite possibly, ever again.
Most Popular Stories
- Dance With Fate Off the Bench for San Diego
- Tonalist, Wicked Strong Headline Jim Dandy
- Daring Dancer Prevails in Lake George Stakes
- Shanon Nicole Takes Off-Turf Indiana Grand
- Can Coup de Grace Land Blow in Amsterdam?
- Haskin: The Saint of Saratoga
- Delaware, Horsemen Hope to Pay Late Purses
- Eight Stakes Set for Churchill in September
- Art Sherman to Receive Laffit Pincay Award
- Final Breeders' Cup Board Seats Filled