The parent companies of two Miami pari-mutuel facilities on June 30 filed a lawsuit that asks a state court in Tallahassee, Fla., to prevent Hialeah Park from having a casino.
Hialeah Park owner and president John Brunetti said June 22 that Calder Race Course's lawsuit that seeks to prevent Hialeah from having a casino will not stop him from applying for a casino license from Florida regulators.
Calder Race Course has asked a state court in Tallahassee, Fla., to overturn a provision of a 2010 Florida law that allows Hialeah Park to apply for and operate a casino.
A judge in a state circuit court in Miami on Aug. 8 dismissed Internet entrepreneur Halsey Minor's civil suit that requested a transfer in control of Hialeah Park from its chairman and principal owner John Brunetti to the city of Hialeah, Fla.
Hialeah Park received a Quarter Horse permit from the Florida Division of Pari-Mutuel Wagering on March 17, with an apparent mandate to begin that racing by March 17, 2010.
Three-time grade I winner Sweet Return has been moved to Brent Fernung's Journeyman Stud near Ocala, Fla., for the 2009 breeding season.
John J. Brunetti's Red Oak Farm has bought Good Chance Farm near Ocala, Fla.
Former racehorses and their new careers will be featured at ReRun New Jersey's second-annual All-Thoroughbred Charity Horse Show on Saturday, Sept. 20.
Having been rebuffed by State of Florida lawmakers in his efforts to revive legislation that would allow his track exclusive operating dates, Hialeah Park chairman John Brunetti said he does not expect the historic track to open in 2002 or, quite possibly, ever again.
Most Popular Stories
- BC Classic Winner Concern Dies at 25
- Champion Sire Smart Strike Euthanized
- Wise Dan Making Progress, Still Tack-Walking
- Unlocking Winners: Dubai and the Derby Preps
- Shared Belief Traveling East for CT Classic
- Commissioner Eyes Easier Skip Away Prize
- VLT Expansion Proposals Shot Down in New York
- 'Chrome' Draws Outside Post 9 for World Cup
- RMTC Board Announces Cobalt Threshold
- MA House Passes Suffolk Simulcast Extension