By Bruce Smart -- Articles describing the 2000 yearling sales have trumpeted the enormous prices being paid for fine physical horses by fashionable sires. But for the "little guy" breeder a darker aspect of today's market hits harder -- the financial disaster represented by the prices for the many race-worthy yearlings that lack a stylish pedigree and fall short of physical perfection.
Most Popular Stories
- Competitive Edge Super Sharp in Hopeful Romp
- Breeder, Businessman Garvin Dies at Age 71
- Filly First Winner for Sire Elusive Warning
- After the Wire: Bernard Baruch & Woodward S.
- Condo Commando 'Splash-tastic' in Spinaway
- Belmont Fall Championship Meet Opens Sept. 5
- Midnight Storm Shakes Up Del Mar Derby
- Wise Dan Victorious in Bernard Baruch Return
- Longshots on Saratoga's Closing Day
- Itsmyluckyday Unlikely to Return in Gold Cup