Trainer King Leatherbury was confident Ben's Cat would exit the Laurel Dash with another victory Sept. 27, but instead watched the 8-year-old gelding finish third behind longshots Dreamsgonewild and Bold Thunder.
Patricia Generazio's Tune Me In silenced his doubters Sept. 1 at Monmouth Park when he shook free to win the $99,000 Cliff Hanger Stakes (gr. IIIT), his second straight graded stakes score in less than three months.
Tune Me In was sent off as the longest price in the $152,500 Oceanport (gr. IIIT) at Monmouth Park, but that didn't stop the 25-1 shot from springing an upset over six other turf contenders July 29.
Daniel A. Herrmann's Emerald Earrings, winner of this year's West Long Branch and Monmouth Beach Stakes at Monmouth Park, has been retired from racing. The 5-year-old daughter of Helmsman will be offered in the Keeneland November breeding stock sale.
Most Popular Stories
- Rodenticide Linked to Six Sudden Horse Deaths
- Disco Rico Euthanized After Laminitis Battle
- Horsemen, Suffolk Downs Continue Discussion
- Trainer Wells Pleads Guilty to Rigging Races
- Durkin to Receive Eclipse Award of Merit
- Baffert Seeks 7th Futurity Win with Dortmund
- Slideshow: 2014 Farewells
- Tax Break on Racehorses Passes Congress
- Attorney: NYTHA Protest Plan Not Objective
- Red Pollard Seabiscuit Saddle to be Auctioned