Tiz Shea D tracked the pace set by Ohio Derby winner Mr. Z and then ran him down with a sweeping outside move to victory in the $500,000 Indiana Derby (gr. II), despite being floated wide around the turn by his erratic rival.
Favored Big Cazanova won for the third time in as many tries over the Del Mar Polytrack with a front-running 3 1/4-length score in the $200,000 Native Diver Stakes (gr. III) Nov. 29.
Multiple grade I winner Ron the Greek, who blew away the field by 6 3/4 lengths in the Jockey Club Gold Cup Invitational Stakes (gr. I) in his most recent start, has been sold to an undisclosed buyer overseas.
Ron the Greek picked a perfect time to snap out of a lengthy slump when he demolished the field in the $1 million Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I) in a 21-1 upset Sept. 28 at Belmont Park.
Multiple grade I winner Ron the Greek registered his first published work since a runner-up finish in the Aug. 24 Whitney Invitational, breezing four furlongs in :49.95 on the Oklahoma Training Track Aug. 31.
Ron the Greek, charging through the stretch along the inside, came from off the pace to nip odds-on favorite Wise Dan at the wire in the Stephen Foster Handicap (gr. I) under the lights at Churchill Downs June 16.
Al Khali finally got loose in mid-stretch and ran down odds-on favorite Winchester in the final yards to win the $150,000 Bowling Green Handicap (gr. IIT) Sept. 11 at Belmont Park.
It took Al Khali five tries, but he finally got his graded stakes score Sept. 6 at Saratoga, running down the two pacesetters in mid-stretch and taking the $107,000 Saranac (gr. IIIT) by 1 1/4 lengths.
Most Popular Stories
- Seven to Face American Pharoah in Haskell
- Lady Eli Showing Improvement From Laminitis
- Real Solution Acquired by Calumet Farm
- Desormeaux Taken Off Mounts at Del Mar
- Delaware Jockey Facing Charges After Shooting
- Keeneland September Sale: 4,164 Yearlings
- For Now, Nine Expected to Race in WV Derby
- Management Changes at Fair Grounds
- Korean-Bred Not Just a Novelty at F-T Sale
- WV Stakeholders Seek Racing Revenue Boost