Returning to Oaklawn Park where he secured his first career stakes win, Golden Lad held off last year's Preakness Stakes (gr. I) runner-up Ride On Curlin to post a 1 3/4-length victory in the $100,000 Essex Stakes.
Golden Lad struck for a fourth consecutive win March 15 after taking charge at the quarter pole at Oaklawn Park and drawing off to an open-length victory in the $200,000 Razorback Handicap (gr. III).
Favored Broadway's Alibi, racing on an off-track for the first time in her career, made quite a splash in her stakes debut with a dominating 16 3/4-length victory in the Forward Gal (gr. II) Jan. 29 at rainy Gulfstream Park.
She has been the talk of Monmouth Park, but Miss Matched will get a big test at Saratoga Race Course on Friday, when she goes to post in the 113th running of the grade II, $250,000 Spinaway for 2-year-old fillies at seven furlongs.
A field of 11 juvenile fillies, including top-weighted stakes winners Classic Elegance and Broadway Gold have been entered for Wednesday's $150,000 Schuylerville Stakes (gr. II), the featured event on Saratoga's opening-day card.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Uncle Mo Filly Brings $1 Million at F-T Sale
- Friesan Fire Colt Tops Midlantic at $825,000
- Possible NYRA Plan Concerns Saratoga Group
- Finger Lakes Horsemen Call for Support
- What is Uncle Mo Worth?
- So Far, Seven Pointing for Belmont Park
- Exaggerator, Nyquist Set for Belmont Rematch