View moments in time from the life of trainer Sir Henry Cecil.
A top jockey has handed in his racing license in protest of British horse racing's new whip rules, after incurring two bans in the first week of their implementation.
- By Vic Zast
UK simulcasting meets live racing fans in the a.m. read blog
The British Grand National course at Aintree will be changed following the deaths of two horses during the 2011 race.
- By Mark Popham
Lisa Hancock, managing director of Newmarket Racecourses in England, unveiled a £10-million redevelopment of the historic July Course June 11, which involved extending the area for racegoers at the back of stands and improving facilities without hopefully changing the unique ambience.
Profound changes to the way British racing operates were announced Monday by a review committee chaired by British Horseracing Board chairman Peter Savill.
One of the six main recommendations put forward today by the British Horseracing Board's review committee is to maintain and develop the British breeding industry.
The forceful and determined Peter Savill, who is seeking to win battles with bookmakers for more funding, will remain chairman of British racing's ruling body, the British Horseracing Board, for another two years.
Leading British owner-breeder Gerald Leigh warned that his eight horses in training in Britain will move to America or France if Thoroughbred breeders lose their seat on the British Horseracing Board.
English runner Madame Jones, who made 61 starts last year, winning 11 handicaps, will be bred and continue racing in 2002.
Organizers of the first major marketing effort to boost horse racing and encourage betting in Great Britain will spend £10 million over next three years in an attempt to increase racetrack attendance by about one million people, raise off-track betting handle, and increase sponsorships.
Most Popular Stories
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Saez to Ride J Boys Echo in Kentucky Derby
- Stewart to Train, Manage Latest Churchill Racing Club
- Syndergaard to Make 2017 Debut in William Walker
- Bolo Back Home at Santa Anita for Thunder Road
- Derby, Oaks Notes From Churchill Downs, April 26
- Medaglia d'Oro Colt New OBS Sale Topper
- High-Profile Owners Team Up to Buy Expensive Colt
- Speedway Stable Strikes Late for Malibu Moon Filly
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired