The Thoroughbred Corporation's homebred Popular was headed in the stretch by 13-10 favorite Roman Dancer, then fought back to the lead under jockey Victor Espinoza to win Sunday's $107,900 San Miguel Stakes (gr. III) by a nose at Santa Anita.
Trainer Howard Zucker is uncertain whether Bringem Jung, a third-place finished in a Santa Anita allowance race Dec. 26 won by Werblin, will make his next start in the San Miguel Stakes on Sunday or wait until Wednesday for an allowance race. One more likely for the San Miguel is Sunny Slope Stakes winner Roman Dancer.
Most Popular Stories
- El Niño Could Present Triple Crown Challenge
- First Reported Foal for Strong Mandate
- 'Kobe', 'Salutos' Meet in Palos Verdes
- Kentucky-Bred Champion Nominees Announced
- Pedigree Analysis: Rock Sand
- First Foal for Stallion Can the Man a Colt
- Aqueduct Cancels Live Racing Friday, Feb. 5
- Easy Win for Frosted in First Meydan Start
- 49 Horses Confirmed With EHV in New Mexico
- OBS March Sale Catalog Online