Trainer Christophe Clement had the first two winners of Saturday's $75,000 Marshua's River for older fillies and mares on the Gulfstream Park grass, but not in the way most expected.
Moncreax Stable's 5-year-old Irish-bred mare Naissance Royale appears to be a standout among 12 fillies and mares entered in Saturday's $75,000 Marshua's River Stakes at Gulfstream Park.
Malcolm E. Parrish's 3-year-old, Irish-bred Chaibia finished a respectable fourth in last month's Garden City Breeders' Cup (gr. IT) at Belmont Park. Sunday, she'll tackle older horses for the first time in the 29th running of the $100,000 Athenia Handicap (gr. IIIT) at 1 1/16 miles.
It's the money time of the year for trainer Bobby Frankel, who is starting to get hot at the right time. He saddled favored Karen's Caper, who got an ideal set up Saturday on the Belmont Park Widener Turf Course under jockey Edgar Prado to win the $155,366 Noble Damsel Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mare at one mile.
Stonerside Stable's Karen's Caper has a slight edge in Saturday's $150,000 Noble Damsel Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares going one mile on the Belmont Park turf.
Gorella, beaten less than two lengths by English Channel and Cacique five weeks ago in Churchill's Woodford Reserve Turf Classic (gr. IT), will be the one to beat Saturday in the $300,000 Just a Game Handicap (gr. IIT) on the Belmont Park Widener Turf course.
Trainer Ron McAnally says the classy Mea Domina is up to the task despite being sidelined for six months when she faces nine fillies and mares in Saturday's $150,000 Las Palmas Handicap (gr. IIT) at one mile on the Santa Anita turf.
Bright Abundance won her third straight on Belmont Park's Widener Turf Course Saturday, a half-length victory over favored My Lordship in the $150,000 Noble Damsel Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares at a mile.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Union Rags Colt Goes for $1 Million at OBS