The 2004 Emirates Melbourne Cup (Aust-I) has attracted 295 entries with a record 55 international nominations. That number of international entries tops the 54 international horses that were nominated four years ago.
New Zealand-bred mare Sunline became only the second horse in the 33-year history of the awards to be named Horse of the Year in Australia twice.
Racing only three days after winning the SAAB Quality Handicap (Aust-II), 6-year-old gelding Brew stormed to the lead with an eighth of a mile to go for a 1 1/2 length victory in the AUS$3-million Melbourne Cup (Aust-I) on Tuesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park
- Catch A Glimpse Has Homecoming in Nassau
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Midnight Storm Seeks Grade 1 Dirt Win in Gold Cup
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- CHRB Approves Medication Conditions for Breeders' Cup
- Lady Eli Brings Her Class to Gamely
- Humane Society, PETA Support USADA Bill