The 2004 Emirates Melbourne Cup (Aust-I) has attracted 295 entries with a record 55 international nominations. That number of international entries tops the 54 international horses that were nominated four years ago.
New Zealand-bred mare Sunline became only the second horse in the 33-year history of the awards to be named Horse of the Year in Australia twice.
Racing only three days after winning the SAAB Quality Handicap (Aust-II), 6-year-old gelding Brew stormed to the lead with an eighth of a mile to go for a 1 1/2 length victory in the AUS$3-million Melbourne Cup (Aust-I) on Tuesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Conquest Mo Money Still Undefeated, Sunland Derby Next
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Girvin, Farrell Exit Fair Grounds Wins Well
- McCraken Top Individual in Kentucky Derby Future Wager
- Dortmund Could Return in Triple Bend
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- El Areeb Sharp in Five-Furlong Workout
- Fasig-Tipton Gulfstream Sale Poised for Strength
- Jockey Alex Birzer Reaches 3,000 Wins