The 2004 Emirates Melbourne Cup (Aust-I) has attracted 295 entries with a record 55 international nominations. That number of international entries tops the 54 international horses that were nominated four years ago.
New Zealand-bred mare Sunline became only the second horse in the 33-year history of the awards to be named Horse of the Year in Australia twice.
Racing only three days after winning the SAAB Quality Handicap (Aust-II), 6-year-old gelding Brew stormed to the lead with an eighth of a mile to go for a 1 1/2 length victory in the AUS$3-million Melbourne Cup (Aust-I) on Tuesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Close Hatches Dominates Personal Ensign
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- Mark Valeski, Magna Graduate to Woodford
- California Chrome Sharpens Up at Los Alamitos
- Hootenanny, The Wow Signal to Meet in France
- Irish Surf Opts for Classic Over Del Mar 'Cap
- Bayern Gallops 1 1/2 Miles On Eve of Travers
- Narniyn Seeks Breakthrough in Jean Romanet
- F-T Saratoga Fall Sale Expanded to Two Days
- Jerkens, Lukas, Durkin Honored at Saratoga