The 2004 Emirates Melbourne Cup (Aust-I) has attracted 295 entries with a record 55 international nominations. That number of international entries tops the 54 international horses that were nominated four years ago.
New Zealand-bred mare Sunline became only the second horse in the 33-year history of the awards to be named Horse of the Year in Australia twice.
Racing only three days after winning the SAAB Quality Handicap (Aust-II), 6-year-old gelding Brew stormed to the lead with an eighth of a mile to go for a 1 1/2 length victory in the AUS$3-million Melbourne Cup (Aust-I) on Tuesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Plan in Works to Save Suffolk Downs Racing
- Espinoza Suspended for Awesome Again Ride
- Figures Decline at F-T Midlantic Fall Sale
- Two-Time Gr. I Winner Strategic Maneuver Dies
- Rosalind to Fasig-Tipton November Sale
- Desormeaux to Hospital After Kick by Horse
- Simulcast Conference: HD Options Progressing
- Record Prize Money Expected for NHC, NHC Tour
- Kay Outlines Recent Successes to NYRA Board
- Haskin: Thoughts on a Super Saturday