The 2004 Emirates Melbourne Cup (Aust-I) has attracted 295 entries with a record 55 international nominations. That number of international entries tops the 54 international horses that were nominated four years ago.
New Zealand-bred mare Sunline became only the second horse in the 33-year history of the awards to be named Horse of the Year in Australia twice.
Racing only three days after winning the SAAB Quality Handicap (Aust-II), 6-year-old gelding Brew stormed to the lead with an eighth of a mile to go for a 1 1/2 length victory in the AUS$3-million Melbourne Cup (Aust-I) on Tuesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Jim Dandy: Texas Red Denies Frosted
- Beholder All Class in Easy Hirsch Score
- American Pharoah Wraps Up Haskell Preparation
- Madefromlucky Gets Job Done in WV Derby
- Rock Fall Edges The Big Beast in Vanderbilt
- Rare Upset for Jockey Parker at Mountaineer
- Red Rifle Blasts Through in Bowling Green
- Seven to Face American Pharoah in Haskell
- After Anxious Moment, American Pharoah Cool
- Gabriel Charles Set for Arlington Million