The 2004 Emirates Melbourne Cup (Aust-I) has attracted 295 entries with a record 55 international nominations. That number of international entries tops the 54 international horses that were nominated four years ago.
New Zealand-bred mare Sunline became only the second horse in the 33-year history of the awards to be named Horse of the Year in Australia twice.
Racing only three days after winning the SAAB Quality Handicap (Aust-II), 6-year-old gelding Brew stormed to the lead with an eighth of a mile to go for a 1 1/2 length victory in the AUS$3-million Melbourne Cup (Aust-I) on Tuesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Competitive Edge Super Sharp in Hopeful Romp
- Miss Serendipity, Blanc Snatch Yellow Ribbon
- Sharp Sensation Edges Ben's Cat in 'Monster
- Fall Meet at Los Alamitos Begins Sept. 5
- Del Mar Trainers to Hop in Bouncey Ball Race
- Ring Weekend at Home on Turf in Saranac Win
- Protonico Surges in Smarty Jones for Pletcher
- Cary Street Rides Rail to Greenwood Surprise
- Haskin: A Day in the Life of Wise Dan
- Munirah Arrives Late for Boiling Springs Win