The 2004 Emirates Melbourne Cup (Aust-I) has attracted 295 entries with a record 55 international nominations. That number of international entries tops the 54 international horses that were nominated four years ago.
New Zealand-bred mare Sunline became only the second horse in the 33-year history of the awards to be named Horse of the Year in Australia twice.
Racing only three days after winning the SAAB Quality Handicap (Aust-II), 6-year-old gelding Brew stormed to the lead with an eighth of a mile to go for a 1 1/2 length victory in the AUS$3-million Melbourne Cup (Aust-I) on Tuesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Early Nominees to Triple Crown Races Increase
- Futura Powerful J&B Met Winner at Kenilworth
- Complete List of Triple Crown Nominees
- Aqueduct Cancels Racing for Saturday, Jan. 31
- Leave the Light On Off Derby Trail
- The Legacy of Gone West
- KY Derby Winner Thunder Gulch Pensioned at 23
- Honor Code, Top Billing Near 4YO Debuts
- Withers Favorite El Kabeir Breezes at Belmont
- Is Ceftiofur Sodium an Effective Treatment for Placentitis?