Skipalute may still be a maiden, but in her last start she finished second to a champion and could be the one to beat in the $200,000 Forward Gal Stakes (gr. II) Jan. 24 at Gulfstream Park.
A field of 11 will gather for the $250,000 Hawthorne Gold Cup (gr. II) at Hawthorne Race Course Nov. 29, contesting the only graded stakes and open event of Hawthorne Race Course's fall stand.
Last the first time past the wire, Cary Street was first when it counted, taking the $200,000 Las Vegas Marathon (gr. II) easily over favored Irish Surf at Santa Anita Park Oct. 31.
Cary Street, saving ground every step of the way under Miguel Mena, outlasted Ever Rider to spring a 28-1 surprise in the $200,000 Greenwood Cup (gr. III) at 1 1/2 miles on the main track at Parx Racing Sept. 1.
For trainer Brendan Walsh, preparing his first Breeders' Cup starter in two years of training is a brand new world that could lead to the first graded stakes victory of his career coming on the sport's biggest stage.
Brendan Walsh, a former assistant to Eddie Kenneally, saddled his first winner as a trainer when Sandcastle won the fifth race March 2 at Gulfstream Park, a maiden special weight event.
Most Popular Stories
- Broad Offering Should Keep OBS April Growing
- Shared Belief Diagnosed With Hip Fracture
- WinStar Farm Acquires Interest in Upstart
- Red Cadeaux Nearing Record Earnings Plateau
- Mitchell Remembered as 'Brilliant Horseman'
- 2015 Road to the Kentucky Derby
- Kentucky Derby Prep Race Results and Points
- Kentucky Derby Notes, April 20
- Late-running Longshots Key to Derby Super
- Newton to Receive Preakness Photography Award