Breeders' Cup reported that a total of nearly $144.3 million was wagered on the two-day World Championships Nov. 2-3 at Santa Anita Park, down from the $161.5 million figure a year ago at Churchill Downs.
Interest in super mare Zenyatta and this year's Breeders' Cup World Championships second day Nov. 6 propelled TVG to a record day, with more than $7.8 million in wagering.
A crowd of 31,257 was on hand at Santa Anita on Oct. 24 for the first day of the two-day event with the first five of 14 Breeders' Cup World Championship races on Oct. A North American record Friday all sources common pool handle on the 10-race card was $47,863,774.
Highlighted by world's largest guaranteed Pick 6 betting pool and new Super High 5 wagers, the Breeders' Cup announced Sept. 29 the post times and wagering menu for the 25th Breeders' Cup World Championships, on Friday-Saturday, Oct. 24-25, at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, Calif.
Fans and bettors made the Breeders' Cup World Championships' first appearance at Churchill Downs in six years a big one with record numbers for all-sources and on-track handle.
A new event wagering record of $115,523,156 from all sources was established for the Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships at Arlington Park Saturday, according to preliminary totals.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Game On Dude, Won Three Big 'Caps, Retired
- Top 3-Year-Old Fillies to Battle in Cotillion
- Ricardo Beats Baze in Champions Challenge
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16
- Brockton Fair Invites Suffolk Downs Horsemen
- Keeneland September continues steady progress
- Kandaly, 1994 Louisiana Derby Winner, Dies
- MGC Offers Help for Displaced Suffolk Workers
- 2013 Breeding Activity Statistics Released