Jockey Brandon Meier was transported to Loyola Medical Center following an accident in the second race at Hawthorne Race Course Feb. 18.
Brandon Meier stepped into the winner's circle, his mouth bloodied and teeth fractured. His grin was ear-to-ear, reminiscent of a boxer who had just survived a 12-round unanimous decision.
Brayden Cecchi, a 3-year-old who suffers from leukemia but loves horses, horse racing and jockeys, presented the trophy following the second race at Arlington Park on June 29.
Most Popular Stories
- Sano's Faith in Gunnevera Unwavering for Florida Derby
- Dortmund Looks to Regain Form in Santana Mile
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Average Spikes at Barretts March Sale
- Look Back: Searching Finds Victory in 1956 Top Flight
- Unique Bella Sidelined Due to Shin Issue
- Classic Empire to Arkansas Derby After Impressive Work
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- Trainer, Racing Official Daniel Dufford Dies at 66
- Tequilita Hopes to Go Distance in Gulfstream Oaks