Driefontein sped to the front at the start and made all the pace to win the Sportingbet Classic (Aus-I) April 26 at Morphettville. The race was one of two at the group I races on the card.
Despite being the baby of the field and having not raced for four months, Weekend Hussler easily won the Oakleigh Plate (Aus-I) over 5 1/2 furlongs at Caulfield in Australia on Feb. 23.
One of racing's great enjoyments is witnessing the start of a champion's career. Those who saw Weekend Hussler (Hussonet-Weekend Beauty) absolutely donkey-lick his rivals in the time-honored Caulfield Guineas (Aus-I) over a mile in Australia on Oct. 13 knew what they were watching.
Life can deal some uncomfortable moments, and little-known Australian trainer Wendy Kelly experienced that Saturday when the horse she trains, Bon Hoffa, nearly lost his claim to victory over an objection lodged in the Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator
- Tepin Back to Brilliant in Saratoga Work
- Flatter Colt Tops OBS Select Yearling Session
- California Chrome Superior in Pacific Classic
- 'Cleopatra' in Gate Drill for Debutante
- Southern CA Tracks, TOC Have Dates Agreement
- Gran Villano is 75th Scat Daddy Stakes Winner
- Six Stakes Fill NY Showcase Day
- 'Chrome,' Beholder Weighing Options after PC
- BH 100: Covered Up