Black Heart Bart signaled the start of Australia's group I for the 2016-17 season in fine style when easily capturing the Memsie Stakes (Aus-I) Aug. 27 at Caulfield.
Driefontein sped to the front at the start and made all the pace to win the Sportingbet Classic (Aus-I) April 26 at Morphettville. The race was one of two at the group I races on the card.
Despite being the baby of the field and having not raced for four months, Weekend Hussler easily won the Oakleigh Plate (Aus-I) over 5 1/2 furlongs at Caulfield in Australia on Feb. 23.
One of racing's great enjoyments is witnessing the start of a champion's career. Those who saw Weekend Hussler (Hussonet-Weekend Beauty) absolutely donkey-lick his rivals in the time-honored Caulfield Guineas (Aus-I) over a mile in Australia on Oct. 13 knew what they were watching.
Life can deal some uncomfortable moments, and little-known Australian trainer Wendy Kelly experienced that Saturday when the horse she trains, Bon Hoffa, nearly lost his claim to victory over an objection lodged in the Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Promising Mastery Heads Los Al Futurity Field
- Del Mar to Pay Out Consolations for Pick 6
- End of Road for ‘Claiming Rule’ Challenge
- Woolf Award Finalists Announced
- Innovative Wagers Help Racetracks with Handle
- Greatbullsoffire Tops Futurity
- Thoroughbred Makeover Accepting Applications
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- Bowman Wins Hong Kong Jockey Championship
- Casse Mulls Derby Path for Classic Empire