Driefontein sped to the front at the start and made all the pace to win the Sportingbet Classic (Aus-I) April 26 at Morphettville. The race was one of two at the group I races on the card.
Despite being the baby of the field and having not raced for four months, Weekend Hussler easily won the Oakleigh Plate (Aus-I) over 5 1/2 furlongs at Caulfield in Australia on Feb. 23.
One of racing's great enjoyments is witnessing the start of a champion's career. Those who saw Weekend Hussler (Hussonet-Weekend Beauty) absolutely donkey-lick his rivals in the time-honored Caulfield Guineas (Aus-I) over a mile in Australia on Oct. 13 knew what they were watching.
Life can deal some uncomfortable moments, and little-known Australian trainer Wendy Kelly experienced that Saturday when the horse she trains, Bon Hoffa, nearly lost his claim to victory over an objection lodged in the Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Tonalist, Wicked Strong Headline Jim Dandy
- Daring Dancer Prevails in Lake George Stakes
- Eight Stakes Set for Churchill in September
- Art Sherman to Receive Laffit Pincay Award
- Delaware, Horsemen Hope to Pay Late Purses
- Final Breeders' Cup Board Seats Filled
- Harris, Frazier Lead 2014 Washingon HOF Class
- Filly Taghrooda Takes Aim at Ascot History
- Queen's Horse Tests Positive for Morphine
- OBS Fall Sale to Include Horses of Racing Age