Before the inaugural fall meet opened Nov. 7, six-time British riding champion Kieren Fallon had never even been to Del Mar.
Jockey Mike Smith apparently will retain the mount on Bodemeister, the colt he guided to a 9 1/2-length victory in the Arkansas Derby (gr. I) April 14.
Three jockeys involved in a spill in the final race at Del Mar July 24 are returning to action without missing any time.
Hall of Fame jockey Mike Smith plans to ride on the Southern California circuit beginning with the final week of the current Santa Anita racing season, agent Brad Pegram confirmed Friday.
Jockey agent Bob Meldahl, who underwent quadruple bypass surgery on June 29 at Huntington Hospital in Pasadena, is recovering so rapidly that he paid Clocker's Corner at Santa Anita near his home a brief visit on Friday.
Jockey Kent Desormeaux, currently seventh in the Del Mar riding standings with 12 winners, has replaced his agent of the past two years, Tom Knust, with Brad Pegram, who also serves currently as agent for rider Frank Alvarado.
Most Popular Stories
- Baffert Seeks 7th Futurity Win with Dortmund
- Trainer Wells Pleads Guilty to Rigging Races
- Red Pollard Seabiscuit Saddle to be Auctioned
- Untapable, Tapiture Settle in at Fair Grounds
- Tax Break on Racehorses Passes Congress
- New Management for 2015 at Rillito Park
- New York Panel Announces Winning Casino Bids
- Barretts January Mixed Sale Catalog Online
- Lenny's Place - Episode 7
- New Rules Lead to Spike in Indiana Positives