Before the inaugural fall meet opened Nov. 7, six-time British riding champion Kieren Fallon had never even been to Del Mar.
Jockey Mike Smith apparently will retain the mount on Bodemeister, the colt he guided to a 9 1/2-length victory in the Arkansas Derby (gr. I) April 14.
Three jockeys involved in a spill in the final race at Del Mar July 24 are returning to action without missing any time.
Hall of Fame jockey Mike Smith plans to ride on the Southern California circuit beginning with the final week of the current Santa Anita racing season, agent Brad Pegram confirmed Friday.
Jockey agent Bob Meldahl, who underwent quadruple bypass surgery on June 29 at Huntington Hospital in Pasadena, is recovering so rapidly that he paid Clocker's Corner at Santa Anita near his home a brief visit on Friday.
Jockey Kent Desormeaux, currently seventh in the Del Mar riding standings with 12 winners, has replaced his agent of the past two years, Tom Knust, with Brad Pegram, who also serves currently as agent for rider Frank Alvarado.
Most Popular Stories
- Callback Rings Up Victory in Las Virgenes
- The Great War Has More in Store After Romp
- 'Brandi' Makes Martha Washington Interesting
- Undefeated Ocean Knight Wins Sam F. Davis
- Early Nominees to Triple Crown Races Increase
- Avanzare Responds For Stevens in Arcadia Win
- Conquest Two Step Surprises in Palos Verdes
- Testa Rossi Gets Endeavour Victory on DQ
- Can Texas Red Be Beaten in the San Vicente?
- Aqueduct Cancels Racing for Saturday, Jan. 31