Before the inaugural fall meet opened Nov. 7, six-time British riding champion Kieren Fallon had never even been to Del Mar.
Jockey Mike Smith apparently will retain the mount on Bodemeister, the colt he guided to a 9 1/2-length victory in the Arkansas Derby (gr. I) April 14.
Three jockeys involved in a spill in the final race at Del Mar July 24 are returning to action without missing any time.
Hall of Fame jockey Mike Smith plans to ride on the Southern California circuit beginning with the final week of the current Santa Anita racing season, agent Brad Pegram confirmed Friday.
Jockey agent Bob Meldahl, who underwent quadruple bypass surgery on June 29 at Huntington Hospital in Pasadena, is recovering so rapidly that he paid Clocker's Corner at Santa Anita near his home a brief visit on Friday.
Jockey Kent Desormeaux, currently seventh in the Del Mar riding standings with 12 winners, has replaced his agent of the past two years, Tom Knust, with Brad Pegram, who also serves currently as agent for rider Frank Alvarado.
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- Stellar Wind to Challenge Beholder Again
- Nyquist Arrives at Monmouth
- Stradivari Recuperating After Surgery
- Belmont Winner Creator Returns in Jim Dandy
- Haveyougoneaway Delivers in Honorable Miss
- A.P. Indian Has Green Light in Vanderbilt
- Lady Aurelia on Track for Prix Morny
- Legends: Lady's Secret, the Iron Lady
- King Kranz Holds Royal Edge in Amsterdam