Moving day will soon be here as the closure of Betfair Hollywood Park draws close, and the California Horse Racing Board got an update from industry leaders Dec. 12 on the situation.
The California Horse Racing Board Sept. 19 approved the license for what will be the final live meet at Hollywood Park, and also signed off on Thoroughbred race meets at Los Alamitos in 2014 and 2015.
Los Alamitos Race Course will press ahead with plans to conduct Thoroughbred racing in the absence of Betfair Hollywood Park next year, representatives of the Orange County track announced Sept. 12.
Slated to close for development Dec. 22, Betfair Hollywood Park is planning to stay open for training through Jan. 31--and perhaps longer, the California Horse Racing Board was told Aug. 22.
The framework for a Southern California racing calendar over the next two years with the impending closure of Betfair Hollywood Park was approved by the California Horse Racing Board May 23.
Los Alamitos Race Course officials were planning to meet Feb. 1 with the city of Cypress, Calif., to begin discussing expansion of the Orange County facility to accommodate Thoroughbred racing and training.
Most Popular Stories
- Easter Filly for Horse of the Year Zenyatta
- Four-Day OBS Spring Sale Kicks Off April 21
- Untapable Breezes at Churchill Downs
- Dude! Imperative Shocks Charles Town Classic
- Cairo Prince Injured, Out of Kentucky Derby
- Dynamic Impact Nabs 'Hawk in Illinois Derby
- Featured Horse Profile: Frac Daddy
- Kentucky Derby Stars Come Out at Keeneland
- Reddam's Bond Holder Succumbs to Laminitis
- Kid Cruz Wins Tesio, Enters Preakness Picture