Moving day will soon be here as the closure of Betfair Hollywood Park draws close, and the California Horse Racing Board got an update from industry leaders Dec. 12 on the situation.
The California Horse Racing Board Sept. 19 approved the license for what will be the final live meet at Hollywood Park, and also signed off on Thoroughbred race meets at Los Alamitos in 2014 and 2015.
Los Alamitos Race Course will press ahead with plans to conduct Thoroughbred racing in the absence of Betfair Hollywood Park next year, representatives of the Orange County track announced Sept. 12.
Slated to close for development Dec. 22, Betfair Hollywood Park is planning to stay open for training through Jan. 31--and perhaps longer, the California Horse Racing Board was told Aug. 22.
The framework for a Southern California racing calendar over the next two years with the impending closure of Betfair Hollywood Park was approved by the California Horse Racing Board May 23.
Los Alamitos Race Course officials were planning to meet Feb. 1 with the city of Cypress, Calif., to begin discussing expansion of the Orange County facility to accommodate Thoroughbred racing and training.
Most Popular Stories
- Full Field to Meet Flashback in Malibu
- Slideshow: A Visit to WinStar Farm
- Swiss Lake Yodeler Solves Soviet Problem
- Mr Speaker Skims to Dania Beach Surprise
- Sweet Lulu Breaks From Rail in La Brea Clash
- No Jet Lag Can Make Amends in Sir Beaufort
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- Strapping Groom Much the Best in Gravesend
- Baker to Head Operations at Three Chimneys
- Elusive Gold Surprises Cape Guineas Field