Ultimate Eagle, a grade I winner on turf making his first start on dirt, won for fun in the $200,000 Strub Stakes (gr. II) at odds of 7-1 Feb. 4 at Santa Anita.
Owner B.J. Wright and trainer Michael Pender capped their superb Turf Festival at Hollywood Park when front-running Ultimate Eagle employed thievery to win the $250,000 Hollywood Derby (gr. IT) at odds of 14-1 Nov. 27.
Ultimate Eagle, staked to an early lead by Martin Pedroza at odds of 34-1, avoided the calvary charge in the 14-horse Oak Tree Derby (gr. IIT) and held on to post a major upset in the $150,000 grass test at Santa Anita.
Maiden Animal Spirits overtook Coalport in the final strides to capture the $150,000 Bourbon Stakes (gr. IIIT) on the turf after pacesetter Here Comes Frazier bounced into the rail in the homestretch at Keeneland Oct. 9.
Godolphin Racing's highly-touted 3-year-old Girolamo overwhelmed Kensei after a brief stretch duel and scored the $150,000 Jerome Handicap (gr. II) by 1 1/4 lengths Oct. 11 at Belmont Park in his first stakes appearance of the season.
Most Popular Stories
- Rodenticide Linked to Six Sudden Horse Deaths
- Durkin to Receive Eclipse Award of Merit
- Attorney: NYTHA Protest Plan Not Objective
- Slideshow: 2014 Farewells
- Dortmund Stands Out in Los Alamitos Futurity
- KEEP Changes Include Staff, Expenditures
- RCI Appoints Five to New Medication Board
- RMTC Plans Changes but No Merger with RCI
- Date Announced for Second CBA Symposium
- Trainer Wells Pleads Guilty to Rigging Races