As the Maryland Jockey Club moves forward under new leadership, it will place an emphasis on improving the day-to-day racing product by lowering takeout to attract new bettors and improving regional cooperation.
Alan Kline's S. S. Hot Sauce, a 33-year-old Maryland-bred son of Sauce Boat who ran in the 1984 Preakness Stakes (gr. I), died March 6 at the age of 33.
Maryland racing may seem like a comedy of errors, but it's no laughing matter. Read Blog
Adversity forged the character and the characters that gave the track a flavor all its own. Read Blog
Al Karwacki, who served as general manager and vice president of Bowie Race Track in Maryland, died March 7 of pancreatic cancer.
The Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association has announced its 2008 award winners. A presentation of the honors will take place at the organization's annual Christmas party at Laurel Park Dec. 1.
The Maryland Jockey Club announced June 8 that it has lifted the restrictions on horses planning to ship to Pimlico Race Course, Laurel Park or the Bowie Training Center from Belmont Park, Aqueduct and Delaware Park.
Maryland Gov. Robert Ehrlich made a personal appeal to members of a House committee Tuesday for approval of his slot machine bill. Before the meeting Ehrlich attended a pro-slots rally at the Capitol conducted by members of the state's horse industry.
Stewart Bowie, a director of the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, died on New Year's Day at his home in Rancho Santa Fe, Calif. He was 76.
- By Tom Keyser
A decision by the Maryland Jockey Club to close the barn area at Pimlico Race Course at the end of October and force trainers to move prompted an immediate outcry from horsemen. Lou Raffetto Jr., chief operating officer of the MJC, said the decision was a cost-cutting measure. He said the barns at Pimlico would reopen about March 1, 2002.
Most Popular Stories
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Louisiana Derby Season Begins
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- Two New Sires to California's Milky Way Farm
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Summer Front's First Foal is a Filly
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- NY Proposes Sweeping Equine Drug, Record Rules