Alan Kline's S. S. Hot Sauce, a 33-year-old Maryland-bred son of Sauce Boat who ran in the 1984 Preakness Stakes (gr. I), died March 6 at the age of 33.
- By Tom LaMarra
Maryland racing may seem like a comedy of errors, but it's no laughing matter. Read Blog
Adversity forged the character and the characters that gave the track a flavor all its own. Read Blog
Al Karwacki, who served as general manager and vice president of Bowie Race Track in Maryland, died March 7 of pancreatic cancer.
The Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association has announced its 2008 award winners. A presentation of the honors will take place at the organization's annual Christmas party at Laurel Park Dec. 1.
The Maryland Jockey Club announced June 8 that it has lifted the restrictions on horses planning to ship to Pimlico Race Course, Laurel Park or the Bowie Training Center from Belmont Park, Aqueduct and Delaware Park.
Maryland Gov. Robert Ehrlich made a personal appeal to members of a House committee Tuesday for approval of his slot machine bill. Before the meeting Ehrlich attended a pro-slots rally at the Capitol conducted by members of the state's horse industry.
Stewart Bowie, a director of the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, died on New Year's Day at his home in Rancho Santa Fe, Calif. He was 76.
A decision by the Maryland Jockey Club to close the barn area at Pimlico Race Course at the end of October and force trainers to move prompted an immediate outcry from horsemen. Lou Raffetto Jr., chief operating officer of the MJC, said the decision was a cost-cutting measure. He said the barns at Pimlico would reopen about March 1, 2002.
Most Popular Stories
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Del Mar Makes Adjustment to Slow Polytrack
- Perfect at Spa, Sweet Reason Ready for Test
- Social Inclusion to Move to Chad Brown
- Palace Malice Hoping to Continue His Roll
- Trainer Joshua Stein Wins in Debut at Sonoma
- CDI Reports Record Second Quarter Revenues
- Juddmonte Stallions Available to S.H. Mares
- Clement Hirsch: Iotapa After BC Distaff Slot
- New York-Bred Palace At Home In Vanderbilt