With the year drawing to a close, it's time to start sizing up the future travelers who are preparing to embark on the 2005 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) trail.
Trainer Julio Canani's Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championship-bound duo of Special Ring and Sweet Catomine both worked at Santa Anita on Wednesday morning.
Multiple grade II winner Roman Ruler, getting ready to make his next start in the Oct. 30 Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I), worked :35 2/5, breezing, at Santa Anita on Sunday under Dana Barnes. But according to trainer Bob Baffert the bay son of Fusaichi Pegasus went much slower and easier in his first published move since winning the Oct. 3 Norfolk Stakes (gr. II).
Eagle Oak Ranch's Boston Glory, second to division leader Roman Ruler in the Oct. 3 Norfolk Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita in his last start, will most likely make his next start in the Oct. 30 Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I), trainer Eoin Harty said.
Just four rivals, none of which have started in a graded stakes, have stepped up to take on California's leading 2-year-old, Roman Ruler, in Sunday's $200,000 Norfolk (gr. II) at Oak Tree's Santa Anita meet.
Most Popular Stories
- Delaware Park Cancels July 28 Racing Program
- Bayern Wires Haskell; Favored Untapable 5th
- Milestone Victory for Jockey Centeno
- Big Macher Collects Grade I Bing Crosby Win
- Tonalist, Kid Cruz Exit Jim Dandy Well
- Del Mar Shifting Turf Races After Breakdowns
- Antipathy Convincing Winner in Muddy Shuvee
- Valid Breaks Through With Monmouth Cup Win
- Wicked Strong Gets Redemption in Jim Dandy
- Starstruck Back to Winning Ways in Matchmaker