With the year drawing to a close, it's time to start sizing up the future travelers who are preparing to embark on the 2005 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) trail.
Trainer Julio Canani's Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championship-bound duo of Special Ring and Sweet Catomine both worked at Santa Anita on Wednesday morning.
Multiple grade II winner Roman Ruler, getting ready to make his next start in the Oct. 30 Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I), worked :35 2/5, breezing, at Santa Anita on Sunday under Dana Barnes. But according to trainer Bob Baffert the bay son of Fusaichi Pegasus went much slower and easier in his first published move since winning the Oct. 3 Norfolk Stakes (gr. II).
Eagle Oak Ranch's Boston Glory, second to division leader Roman Ruler in the Oct. 3 Norfolk Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita in his last start, will most likely make his next start in the Oct. 30 Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I), trainer Eoin Harty said.
Just four rivals, none of which have started in a graded stakes, have stepped up to take on California's leading 2-year-old, Roman Ruler, in Sunday's $200,000 Norfolk (gr. II) at Oak Tree's Santa Anita meet.
Most Popular Stories
- Lady Eli Pointed to Aug. 27 Ballston Spa
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- Stellar Wind to Challenge Beholder Again
- Nyquist Arrives at Monmouth
- Lexie Lou Headlines Victoriana Stakes
- What's Going On Here: Sporting Gestures
- Stradivari Recuperating After Surgery
- Belmont Winner Creator Returns in Jim Dandy
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Oaklawn Strengthening 2017 Handicap Division