With the year drawing to a close, it's time to start sizing up the future travelers who are preparing to embark on the 2005 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) trail.
Trainer Julio Canani's Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championship-bound duo of Special Ring and Sweet Catomine both worked at Santa Anita on Wednesday morning.
Multiple grade II winner Roman Ruler, getting ready to make his next start in the Oct. 30 Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I), worked :35 2/5, breezing, at Santa Anita on Sunday under Dana Barnes. But according to trainer Bob Baffert the bay son of Fusaichi Pegasus went much slower and easier in his first published move since winning the Oct. 3 Norfolk Stakes (gr. II).
Eagle Oak Ranch's Boston Glory, second to division leader Roman Ruler in the Oct. 3 Norfolk Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita in his last start, will most likely make his next start in the Oct. 30 Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I), trainer Eoin Harty said.
Just four rivals, none of which have started in a graded stakes, have stepped up to take on California's leading 2-year-old, Roman Ruler, in Sunday's $200,000 Norfolk (gr. II) at Oak Tree's Santa Anita meet.
Most Popular Stories
- Fager to Deliver Thoroughbred Owner Conference Keynote
- New York Discusses Rules on Race-Day Lasix
- Conrad Bandoroff Joins Denali Stud
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- Date Set for 2017 Maryland Million Day
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- F-T Saratoga Offering 12 From Scat Daddy's Last Crop
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby